IN-A-PINCH Escorted Transportation
Heart of the Valley, SERVICES FOR SENIORS, Inc.
Job Title: Escorted Transportation
Description: Volunteer provides rides to client for immediate, unforeseen needs such as medical appointments, prescription fills, veterinarian appointments, shopping errands, and/or social events or engagements. The goal is same day fulfillment of the request.
- Calling the client, making final transportation arrangements, and maintaining communication until the service is completed
- Providing transportation via volunteer’s automobile
- Staying with the client unless otherwise requested
- Assisting with carrying bags and putting away items as needed
- Reporting any changes/completion of service to HOV
Job Location: West Santa Clara Valley-Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Campbell, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Monte Sereno, or West San Jose (95117, 95125, 95126, 95128, 95129, and 95130)
Supervision: All services are supervised by HOV
- Potential volunteers who drive on agency business (i.e., to and from agency office or client’s homes or who take clients in their automobiles) must maintain a good driving record, a current California Drivers License, and a minimum of $25,000/50,000 public liability in car insurance (current state minimum) at all times while working as a volunteer for HOV.
- Must undergo an interview, orientation, background check, and DMV check by HOV
- Must drive a vehicle that is easy for a senior to enter and exit
- Must pay own gas expenses -not reimbursable
- Encouraged to carry a cell phone for communication
- Dependable, patient, courteous and kind; good communication skills are a must.
- Aware and supportive of IN-A-PINCH goals and services
- Driver and passenger seat belt should be on at all times
- No medications that impair driving; no alcohol
- Stay focused (i.e., avoid distractions such as adjusting radio, CD, eating, drinking, and using cell phone while driving)
- Stay cool, patient, and courteous with other drivers
- Plan ahead and know where you are going, the route to take, and how long it will take
- Do not give personal address or phone number to the client
- Do not accept additional services without a request submitted to the office
- Do not perform any services that cannot be completed in timely and efficient manner
Time Commitment Needed: Time commitment will be determined by HOV in accordance with volunteer availability and client need
Orientation/Training: Volunteer orientation and job skill training will be provided by HOV
Benefits: A good placement for those who enjoy driving and one-to-one contact