7 people are interested
IN-A-PINCH Escorted Transportation
ORGANIZATION: Heart of the Valley, SERVICES FOR SENIORS, Inc.
Please visit the new page to apply.
7 people are interested
Job Title: Escorted Transportation
Description: Volunteer provides rides to client for immediate, unforeseen needs such as medical appointments, prescription fills, veterinarian appointments, shopping errands, and/or social events or engagements. The goal is same day fulfillment of the request.
- Calling the client, making final transportation arrangements, and maintaining communication until the service is completed
- Providing transportation via volunteer’s automobile
- Staying with the client unless otherwise requested
- Assisting with carrying bags and putting away items as needed
- Reporting any changes/completion of service to HOV
Job Location: West Santa Clara Valley-Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Campbell, Cupertino, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Monte Sereno, or West San Jose (95117, 95125, 95126, 95128, 95129, and 95130)
Supervision: All services are supervised by HOV
- Potential volunteers who drive on agency business (i.e., to and from agency office or client’s homes or who take clients in their automobiles) must maintain a good driving record, a current California Drivers License, and a minimum of $25,000/50,000 public liability in car insurance (current state minimum) at all times while working as a volunteer for HOV.
- Must undergo an interview, orientation, background check, and DMV check by HOV
- Must drive a vehicle that is easy for a senior to enter and exit
- Must pay own gas expenses -not reimbursable
- Encouraged to carry a cell phone for communication
- Dependable, patient, courteous and kind; good communication skills are a must.
- Aware and supportive of IN-A-PINCH goals and services
- Driver and passenger seat belt should be on at all times
- No medications that impair driving; no alcohol
- Stay focused (i.e., avoid distractions such as adjusting radio, CD, eating, drinking, and using cell phone while driving)
- Stay cool, patient, and courteous with other drivers
- Plan ahead and know where you are going, the route to take, and how long it will take
- Do not give personal address or phone number to the client
- Do not accept additional services without a request submitted to the office
- Do not perform any services that cannot be completed in timely and efficient manner
Time Commitment Needed: Time commitment will be determined by HOV in accordance with volunteer availability and client need
Orientation/Training: Volunteer orientation and job skill training will be provided by HOV
Benefits: A good placement for those who enjoy driving and one-to-one contact
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Heart of the Valley, SERVICES FOR SENIORS, Inc.
PO Box 418, Santa Clara, CA 95052, US
Heart of the Valley, SERVICES FOR SENIORS, Inc. is a 501 (c)(3) corporation, committed to facilitating, advocating and supporting independent living for seniors residing in West Santa Clara Valley.
Heart of the Valley, SERVICES FOR SENIORS, Inc. is a volunteer agency that recruits volunteers to act as friendly neighbors would to help seniors stay independent in their lives, by providing a wide variety of services for them to utilize. All services are offered at no cost to the senior. Heart of the Valley began in 1987, has three part-time staff, approx. 700 seniors and a little over 150 volunteers. Volunteers get to select the kinds of services they want to do, the areas in which they want to serve, and their availability. Heart of the Valley's services include the cities of Santa Clara, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Saratoga, Monte Sereno, Los Gatos, Campbell and the west San Jose zip codes of 95117, 95125, 95126, 95128, 95129 and 95130.
During the pandemic, we were able to partner with our volunteers and local companies to establish a Friendly Caller program to keep homebound seniors connected with someone by having a weekly phone call. Our office also connected seniors who needed assistance with vaccine and testing appointments online as well as ordering COVID-19 testing home kits. We had some volunteer youth groups also write notes to our area seniors and paired with a personal PPE bag with disposable gloves and masks, and hand sanitizing wipes.
Our organization is authorized to pick up Household Hazardous Waste, prescription and over the counter medication for safe disposal, on behalf of our senior clients within the guidelines set forth by the County of Santa Clara Consumer and Environmental Protection Agency.
PO Box 418Santa Clara, CA 95052
August 8, 2022
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training