Inspire Youth...Become a Mentor!
DONATE TO THIS
72 people are interested
'Discover Your Future’ is a mentor-driven, trauma-sensitive, program serving youth who face adversity. Volunteer impact:
- Form a bond with youth by serving as a mentor
- Enrich the lives of youth who face adversity through providing a consistent and caring relationship
- Work in small groups with elementary students grades 3-6
- Serve as a positive role model and promote resiliency
"You can see their confidence & strength growing each week... Seeing that light glowing within each child’s eyes could uplift anyone’s day... It especially did mine." - Zarinah
Specific Ways in which you will work with our KIDS:
- Facilitate ethics discussions on topics such as:Trust, respect, responsibility, caring, and citizenship
- Assist small groups of youth with brain-stimulating academic activities (including STEAM activities)
- Assist with fitness and athletic activities such as: football, obstacle courses, yoga, basketball...and many more!
The youth in our programs are hand selected and have experienced three or more Adverse Childhood Experience (ACEs). All mentors will be trained on how to create positive and trusting relationships prior to entering the field.
- Mentoring 2.5 hours, once a week for 13 or 26 weeks
- Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Guadalupe, Chandler
- Program runs Monday through Wednesday at 11 different sites throughout the valley during the afterschool hours (Ranging from 2pm - 6:30pm
- Complete one time Discover Your Future Training (4 hour duration).
'Discover Your Future’ Program Mission: Promote resiliency and confidence by providing them the opportunity to consistently interact with caring mentors in a structured program environment.
About Future for KIDS
1425 W. Southern Ave. Suite 10A, Tempe, AZ 85282, US
Future for KIDS mission is to provide mentor driven out-of-school time programs and camps that focus on academics, athletics, and ethics to improve the lives of youth facing adversity.
Future for KIDS prides itself on our commitment to creating a brighter future for youth who face adversity. Our programming is designed as a supportive community program for elementary aged youth who live in low-income communities in Maricopa County and have experienced Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs). ACEs consist of emotional or physical trauma that takes place before the age of 18 including all forms of abuse, neglect, or household dysfunction. Two in five children in Arizona experience one or more ACEs in their lifetime (2014 Child Trends).
All youth served by Future for KIDS programming face 3 or more ACEs; Arizona has one of the highest rates for this level of toxic stress among youth (15% compared to the national average, 11%) (2014 Child Trends). Research suggests that experiencing ACEs increases one’s risk for poor mental and physical health, less successful in school and work throughout one’s life.
Mentorship, and providing youth with "stable, nurturing relationships" are a top-rated approach to reduce the risks associated with experiencing ACEs (Phoenix Children’s Hospital).
Our curriculum is intentionally designed for youth to develop socially and emotionally, learning coping mechanisms and self-regulation.
We'll work with your schedule.
Future For KIDS on site: Boys&Girls Club GuadalupeChange a life! Mentor Thursday 4:00 - 6:30 PM9225 South Avenida Del YaquiGuadalupe, AZ 85283
- Child Development
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5 hours/once a week for 13 or 26 weeks
- Application & Interview