We run a 100% volunteer based Facebook page for a kill shelter located in Southern California.
We currently are seeking 2 compassionate and devoted adult volunteers to help us run the Facebook page. This volunteer opportunity is best for someone who is available during the day for urgent matters, comfortable with Facebook and is online frequently with a flexible schedule and who has the ability to jump in quickly, when needed, to make an urgent update during the hours of 8 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. Pacific Time.
The animals at this shelter are typically in extremely urgent need, and sometimes we receive notice that one is on a euthanasia list or injured and has until the end of the day, so we need to promptly communicate this type of information immediately on Facebook. Some of the info can be updated via a smartphone, but often computer access via a laptop or desktop is necessary instead of a smartphone for the FB application. As the shelter is on Pacific Time, we need someone who is available during the hours of 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Pacific Time. The amount of time dedicated daily ranges from 1-2 hours on average, in increments depending on the need as definted below. The needs vary each day, which is why flexibility and adaptability are critical for this opportunity.
Responsibilties would include
1) Update Facebook with information provided by shelter and updating postings for animals that arrived together. You must currently be on Facebook and will be assigned an administrative role to update animal listings daily on the Page. This takes approximately 30 mintues each evening around 6-6:30 pm Tues-Fri and 4-4:30 pm Saturdays (Pacific time). We may receive an update from the shelter on an animal during the day (temperament test results, medical notes, etc.) or an urgent animal that has medical needs and must leave that day that needs to be added to the FB thread for that pet or create a new thread mmediately. Therefore, an additional 15-30 minutes on some days may be needed.
2) Add photo and video links that we provide from volunteers and add them to the animal's threads. The Page Admin visits the shelter twice monthly to do photos and videos of all the animals on Saturdays. Assistance is needed every other weekend either Saturday or Sunday to help upload onto the animal's threads
3) Share an immediate need to Facebook groups - we provide names of groups for you to join and share to. (5-15 minutes daily)
4) Make photo collages for animals that arrived together (i.e. a litter of kittens, a mama kitty and her newborns, a litter of puppies) and post on FB. You can use a smartphone app to create the collage. (15-30 minutes as needed). We have additional volunteers who also create collages for us, therefore they would email those to you, and as the Page Admin you would post them on the animal's thread
5) Review animals daily Tuesday - Saturday to determine which are no longer listed and require an outcome from the shelter (compile the list for email- 30 minutes)
We are seeking adult volunteers over the age of 25 to help for this volunteer position. This position is extremely important to the animals in the shelter, and you will serve as an assistant to the main Page Admin, which carries great deal of responsibility. This can be very fast paced, may require quick reaction at times, and we are working with animals that are in a kill shelter, therefore we sadly do lose animals to euthanasia so if this is too sensitive for you, this is not the right opportunity for you. Despite the sadness when animals are euthainzed, we must push forward on our plight to help as many of the others still in the shelter, who are alive, and rely on us to help them.
Due the flexibility and the time commitment necessary for this position, this would be an optimal for someone who is online all day, perhaps working from home, has flexibilty during Pacific Timezone daytime hours, and is seeking a means to dedicate themselves to helping animals via an online opportunity.
Our Facebook page has greatly helped the animals at this Southern CA kill shelter by increasing awareness of the animals in need, providing a networking platform to share the animals and keep current information for them, and recruit new rescues to become partners with the shelter to save lives. It is A LOT OF WORK, but it has greatly made difference in this shelter. We opened our page almost 3 years ago, and the shelter recognizes our efforts that have resulted in many more lives saved and a significant reduction in the percentage of animals euthanized. To continue to support the animasl in this shelter, we need an assistant Page Admin to accomplish these tasks in a more expedient fashion. We would love for you to join our efforts to help these homeless animals, who have a short window of time to find a new home, and receive a second chance of life.
Please respond with your name, age, your daily availability, if you work (how many hours a day), your experience with social media and Facebook and a bit more about yourself and why this opportunity interests you. Serious inquiries only, please.
Thank you for your interest, and we look forward to hearing from you.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Project Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 25
- Varies - See description above.
- Compassion, dedication, responsible, reliable