Chicagoland Methodist Senior Services
Position Title: Pet Therapy
Program/Department: Covenant Home, The Hartwell, Wesley Place
Reports To: Program Coordinator of Covenant Home; Supervisor of The Hartwell; Activities Coordinator of Wesley Place
Date Completed/Revised: 02/2014
The primary purpose of your position is to enhance the experience of daily living by providing residents with visits from vaccinated dogs that provide therapeutic companionship and entertainment.
Responsible To: Program Coordinator of Covenant Home; Supervisor of The Hartwell; Activities Coordinator of Wesley Place
Supervises: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Interrelationships: Residents/Clients/Tenants, Families, Co-Workers, Vendors, Visitors
TIME REQUIRED: Approximately 30 minutes to an hour
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT: Sporadic visits are welcomed. Weekly or monthly commitments are preferred.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Consistently promotes interactions and activity that reflect the Mission and Values of the organization while consistently demonstrating and ensuring person centered customer service.
- Promote the human/companion dog bond.
- Ability to control animal through verbal commands and/or hand signal and to physically restrain dog, if necessary
- Schedule visit in advance with the Program Coordinator, Supervisor, or Activity Coordinator.
- Log volunteer time by signing in and out on the Volunteer Log Sheet.
- Compliance and understanding of HIPAA laws.
- Performs similar and other duties as assigned.
ATTENDANCE AND WORK HABITS:
Is dependable and reliable when scheduled to work as evidenced by infrequent use of sick time, absent time and lateness. Follows dress code and practices principles of good health and hygiene. Illustrates positive attitude and good work habits as evidenced by effective communication, teamwork, quality of work and care, initiative, cooperation and adherence to all policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong customer service skills
- The pet handler must have highly developed dog-training and handling skills. He/she must exhibit a strong bond with his/her dog, as well as an understanding of basic animal behavior.
- Handler must present current vaccinations for the dog
- Strong aptitude for written and verbal correspondence
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language
- Interest in serving seniors and compassion for this population
- Experience working with elderly population is desirable, but not required
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- Dog must be up to date on vaccinations. Handler must present current vaccination records.
SAFETY & EDUCATION
Attends all mandatory training. Completes drug test and background check. Knowledgeable of the emergency codes and understands and observes safety rules. Maintain clean and safe work area.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
When physical requirements are not essential job functions, reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities.
Occasionally required to stand and walk continuously
- Ability to see, hear and speak continuously at a level to meet all essential functions of the job
- Activities required include occasional stooping, bending, reaching, occasional kneeling and squatting
- Physical work is of light demand with frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 30lbs.
- Work is of high attention and mental demands including the ability to prioritize and process with accuracy
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment