Position Summary: The Exhibit Facilitator’s primary responsibility is to offer educational support in the museum’s exhibits. Additionally, Exhibit Facilitators will practice excellent customer service, interpersonal communication, and public speaking skills, while expanding guest exposure to science learning.
Exhibit Facilitator job functions include:
- Provide educational support in museum exhibits, offering assistance with interactive components, and enhancing the experience with "Pocket Science" activities.
- Support and advance the mission of the Franklin Institute by engaging with guests.
- Attend training sessions indicated in the training cycle, study material provided, and be prepared to interpret this material at assigned exhibits.
- Assist guests in finding their way throughout the Museum, answer guest questions, and challenge inappropriate guest behavior through redirecting guests to positive activities and behaviors, focusing on science.
- Be happy, helpful, and courteous to all guests, staff, and fellow volunteers.
- Report guest issues, and problems in exhibit to supervisor.
- Attend assigned exhibit areas on time.
- General housekeeping and upkeep of department equipment and materials.
- Perform all assigned tasks.
Special Skills Required:
- Interest in science and The Franklin Institute’s mission (In the spirit of inquiry and discovery embodied by Benjamin Franklin, the mission of The Franklin Institute is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology.)
- Positive attitude and willingness to try new things
- Good communication skills
- Reliable and punctual, with good attendance
- Able to work well with learners of all ages
- Able to accept direct supervision
- Must be physically able to be active for up to 3 to 4 hours
Clearance Requirements:This position involves direct contact with children. Volunteers must meet background clearance requirements before they can begin.
Interested applicants must be able to commit to weekly volunteering for a minimum of 100 hours of service.
Available volunteer hours:
Volunteer applicants must be able to attend one of the interview dates, as well as all other dates listed. If you are unable to attend more than one of the dates, we recommend you wait to apply for another session.
Team Rho- Summer Facilitator Training
Group Interviews: Sunday, 5/20/18 & Tuesday, 5/22/18 at 4:00 pm
Orientation: Monday, 6/25/18 from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
Trainings from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
Training 1: 6/26/18
Training 2: 6/27/18
Training 3: 6/28/18
Training 4: 6/29/18
Volunteering can be done on weekends or weekdays. Our volunteers are extremely important to the Museum and work within the exhibits to help visitors understand science concepts. Be an engineer on the Baldwin 60000, an expert at our Giant Heart Bar, a riddler at Puzzles and Brainteasers and so much more!
We offer travel reimbursement/free parking, entrance to the Museum, IMAX, planetarium and exciting visiting exhibits. Volunteers also receive a discount in our museum cafe and store, and the opportunity to earn a free family membership.
The Franklin Institute is thrilled to meet new friends looking to use their knowledge and skills to benefit thousands of children! Find new friends, fun and life-long learning with our team of volunteers!
Please email email@example.com or visit https://www.fi.edu/join-our-team/volunteer for more information on summer Youth Volunteer opportunities.
- Public Speaking
- People Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training