Helping Link-Một Dấu Nối is recruiting new board members
About Our Agency:
Helping Link-Một Dấu Nối provides educational, social, and cultural programs to empower and support Vietnamese refugees and immigrants in the greater Seattle area. In a welcoming, accessible environment, committed volunteers provide:
* English/Citizenship classes
* Technology training
* Homework support
* Information and Referrals services
* Cultural preservation programs
Roles and Responsibilities
- Attend all Board meetings and the annual Board Retreat, and participate actively in two annual Board fundraisers: Our spring Seattle Foundation Give Big and fall Annual Gala.
- Serve on one Board committee and/or Task Force/Working Group, and carry out related responsibilities.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee/task force/working group meetings.
- Understand and commit to Helping Link’s mission, services, programs, and policies.
- Make Helping Link a philanthropic priority, and make an annual gift that is personally significant that reflects that priority.
- Participate actively in fund development initiatives, including hosting a table of 10 at the Annual Fall Gala, and bringing guests to our Give Big event.
- Be a community ambassador for Helping Link and make warm introductions for Helping Link to friends, associates and community leaders.
- Recommend board and committee members.
- Follow all conflict of interest, ethics and confidentiality guidelines.
What do I bring to Helping Link?
- A passion for and commitment to Helping Link’s vision, mission and goals for Vietnamese-Americans’ social adjustment, family stability, and self-sufficiency.
- Demonstrated track record of working in or directing teams and willingness to take on leadership roles.
- Experience in at least one relevant area, such as non-profit governance, fund development, advocacy, strategic planning, IT, organizational development, change/growth management, program development and expansion, finance/accounting, and law.
- Prior board experience is highly desirable.
Terms and Time Commitments
Members are elected to a 2-year term (renewable for two additional 2-year terms). You should be prepared to invest about 5 - 8 hours per month, typically:
- 2 hours to prepare for and attend a Board meeting (10 per year)
- 3 hours for committee work (per committee)
- 1 - 3 hours for special tasks, meetings, introductions to community leaders, events and fund development activities, e.g. the annual Board Retreat and recruitment of Annual Gala guests.
*Hourly commitment varies by month, depending on committee, projects and events.
Funding Helping Link’s Programs
Our Board Members commit to making Helping Link one of their giving priorities. Helping Link expects 100 percent of its Board Members to make an annual contribution commensurate with their giving capacity in order to credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, corporate sponsors, and individual donors. Members also purchase a table for our annual gala for themselves and 9 guests. Members can give annually, quarterly or monthly.
- Expected fund development activities include: cultivation or recommendation of potential major donors and/or corporate partners, recruitment of fall Annual Gala guests who are ready to support Helping Link financially, participation in organizational cultivation and stewardship activities.
What does my Board service mean for my community and me?
Social justice and advocacy cannot be accomplished alone. We work to strengthen transitions and honor traditions for refugees and immigrants by reducing the barriers for civic engagement. There are few investments in life more important than making positive change for individuals and the Vietnamese community as a whole. And there are few experiences in life more rewarding than committing to Board service in ways that are meaningful, purposeful and reflective of you and your personal values.
To help guide you along during your first year, new members receive orientation and trainings centered on Board roles and responsibilities, Helping Link mission, programs and history, understanding nonprofit finance, the Board member’s role in fundraising, and leadership coaching.
Turn your passion for social justice, advocacy and community building by joining Helping Link’s Board of Directors. Find out more by contacting Minh Duc Nguyen today at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information: www.helpinglink.org
- Resource Development / Management
- Adult Education
- Capacity Planning
- Business Planning
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 8-10 hrs per month
- Volunteer as an Event Coordinator!
- Opportunity for a Photographer...
- Sponsorship Coordinator
- ESL Instructors
- Graphic Designer
- Program Support Specialist
- Citizenship Instructor
- Recruitment Specialist
- Board of Directors
- Community Engagement Ambassador
- Come Beautify Helping Link! Arts...
- iPad Instructor - Help us bridge...
- Volunteer Recruitment and...
- Volunteer IT Specialist Wanted!
- Marketing Specialist
- Wordpress Designer
- Program Support Coordinator
- Gain Grant Writing Experience!
- Opportunity for a Communications...
- Help Seniors & Immigrants Learn...