Building Community Bridges, Inc.
BCB seeks board members who will support the work of BCB and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by executive director, the board and executive director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Individuals with experience in Agriculture are preferred.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the executive director as she implements BCB's strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by BCB for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving BCB's annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the executive director and assisting the executive director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members and a Board of Advisers
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing BCB to stakeholders acting as an ambassador for the organization so that BCB can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals
BCB expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Benefits of volunteering with BCB: * Build your skills in an innovative yet hands-on way. * Be part of a new exciting social venture. * Experience meaning and purpose in the difference your work makes. * Enjoy the support of people who share your interests and values. * Increase your understanding of global issues that are affecting our entire world.
About Building Community Bridges, Inc.
244 5TH AVENUE SUITE E283, NEW YORK, NY 10001, US
Our mission is to partner with villages in rural West Africa to elevate the quality of life and to effect endogenous change that will enable the villagers to become self-reliant, self-sufficient and have less dependency on foreign aid. We aim to achieve this through dual efforts in sustainable rice cultivation, and by acting as a bridge to education and resources for the villages.
Building Community Bridges is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in New York City operating projects in Togo and Ghana. Our mission is to stimulate sustainable and self-directed community and economic development in West Africa through our social entrepreneurial CEDI program. Our past projects have included providing access to clean water in Koussougba, creating a water sanitation and hygiene program to reduce the spread of waterborne illness, and installation of Ecosan toilets in Togo. Most recently, BCB partnered with an agricultural community in Ho, Ghana, to implement a sustainable rice-cultivation project which is now owned by that community. We are presently focused on building a rice processing center in this region. Also, we are expanding our mission to connect the African Diaspora to entrepreneurial development opportunities in West Africa.