Do you have some extra time available to assist senior citizens and people with visual impairments with transportation in your community?
Do you have a senior in your life that you want to help find a transportation solution for?
ITNPortland, operating within a 15 mile radius of Portland, ME is looking for volunteer drivers to assist seniors for all types of transportation needs- medical appointments, shopping, social visits, and other outings. Volunteers are needed for all days and times, with the largest need being for day-time, week-day volunteers.
Benefits of becoming a volunteer driver
- You help seniors stay independent and healthy by taking them to visit friends, a hair dressers appointment or a doctor's appointment
- You help make driving safer for everyone
- You provide a positive alternative to a huge national problem by ensuring that seniors have a great choice without burdening family or friends
- You get mileage reimbursement for part of the ride and transportation credits for the rest. Save these credits for your own future use, transfer them to a loved one or donate them to the Road Scholarship Program for low-income riders
- You receive a free annual membership for yourself and one for a friend, and the quarterly newsletter
Provide one afternoon a week or a few hours during the month. You'll receive training, and ITNPortland will arrange your driving assignments and routes around your schedule. You can even pick up a rider on your way to work and do a good deed before the day's begun!
All of us have a stake in helping to ensure that older adults and the visually impaired can remain active once they stop driving. Volunteers help older people stay connected to families, friends, and activities that bring meaning to their lives - and to yours.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Orientation or Training