This is a volunteer position that works as a member of Reading Connection’s Adult Basic Education (ABE) and/or English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Student Program Team. The Student Program Assistant will be primarily responsible for assisting the Program Coordinators with services including student recruitment and assessment, tutor training preparation and instructor and student support services. The Program Assistant will support instructors and students via phone, email and in person. The Program Assistant will also have the opportunity to research and develop new ways to conduct student intake and improve tutor trainings.
In return for the volunteer hours, the benefits to the volunteer candidate may include: job reference letter from the Executive Director of Reading Connections or the immediate supervisor, experience gained while volunteering on various tasks, networking opportunities, and current resume entry. Most importantly, you will be a vital part of Reading Connections' work on providing adult literacy services to promote life changes.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assisting with the orientation of new students to the program including creating paper files and entering student details and assessments in a database
- Entering and analyzing student attendance records received from tutors and instructors
- Contacting instructors, tutors and students regularly via phone and email
- Researching and developing processes for student intake
- Preparing and assisting with improving materials for tutor trainings
- Maintaining up-to-date online and physical files for all students and tutors
- Attending meetings and special events and participating in staff trainings (as and when needed)
- Conducting other duties related to the successful operation of our Student programs
Qualities and Skills:
The successful candidate must have/be the following:
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly-organized
- Excellent writing, analytical, and research skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects, take initiative, work independently and as a team
- Ability to meet deadlines while also paying close attention to details and accuracy
- Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
- Flexibility and strong commitment to collaboration
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and commitment to professional ethics
- Ability to work with a diverse population
Reading Connections is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Please send a resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, detailing why you are an ideal candidate for this position.
Can fulfill internship requirements.
- Adult Education
- Administrative Support
- People Skills
- Basic Computer Skills
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4-6 hours/week, four month minimum.
- GED or High school diploma.
- ESOL Adult Tutor - High Point
- ESOL Adult Tutor - Greensboro
- Career Coach - High Point
- Office Volunteer - High Point
- GED Prep Math Tutor - High Point
- Adult Literacy Tutors - Greensboro
- GED Prep Math Tutor - Greensboro
- Corrections (Jail) Literacy...
- Adult Literacy Tutors - High Point
- Computer Lab Instructors
- Corrections (Jail) Literacy...
- Literacy Program Assistant...