Sand Point is looking for volunteers interested in working with youth through various activity groups.
About Sand Point Family Housing
Our Sand Point Housing campus provides transitional housing, affordable permanent housing, and onsite support services for formerly homeless families and individuals. The stunning campus, located in Seattle’s Magnuson Park near Lake Washington, is on land that was surplussed by the U.S. Navy. It includes historic renovated buildings and new construction totaling 175 townhomes and apartments.
Since 1999, more than 3,000 people have stayed at Sand Point Housing in their journey from homelessness to stability. Today, nearly 500 people (including almost 250 children and youth) live in a thriving community with onsite support services at Sand Point.
Child/Youth Group Assistant
- Volunteers will help provide group facilitation support to children and youth in Sand Point Housing’s Children’s Program, usually after-school and in the evenings.
- Volunteers will provide assistance with supervising children of various ages in group settings with the support of the Children’s Group Specialist staff person(s) to allow for more individualized attention and support.
- Volunteers will have the opportunity to create additional group activities and lesson planning support to Solid Ground staff if interested!
- Facilitation assistance is needed in multiple groups including (but not limited to) the following:
- Thursday evening childcare provided during parent support group (6-8pm)
- Friday evening art group for school-aged children (6-7pm)
- Childcare groups (ages 3-6) on Monday and Tuesday evenings
- Storytime group (ages 3-6) on Wednesday evenings (6-7pm)
- Teen Connect group on Tuesday afternoons (4-6pm)
- Boy Scouts group Tuesday evenings (5-6pm)
***Extra support will be needed for child and youth groups over the summer!!! Let us know if you are available to help during the summer months. We will have extra educational and recreational opportunities for the children during the summer!***
- Willingness and ability to work with children and families from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles, sexual orientations, and of all ages.
- Ability to work effectively with children in a group setting.
- Ability to be non-judgmental, positive, respectful, creative, consistent and flexible
- Problem solving skills to manage issues or behaviors that may arise
- Must have strong human relations skills to work effectively with diverse team of staff and participants.
- Experience working in the educational, social and human services fields is a plus but not required
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Provide three references
- Cooking Matters Class Assistant
- 55 or older? Improve food...
- Tutor Children & Youth
- Assist with Children & Youth...
- Child Care
- Child/Youth Group Assistant
- Nutrition Education: Class...
- RSVP - for those 55 & older, and...
- Chef Instructor
- 55 or older? Help a child reach...
- RSVP needs volunteers to assist...
- Adult Day and Companionship
- Share Your Love of Cooking and...
- Nutrition Instructor
- 55 or older? Mentor newly...
- After School Tutor