Sand Point is looking for volunteers interested in working with youth through various activity groups.
About Sand Point Family Housing
Our Sand Point Housing campus provides transitional housing, affordable permanent housing, and onsite support services for formerly homeless families and individuals. The stunning campus, located in Seattle’s Magnuson Park near Lake Washington, is on land that was surplussed by the U.S. Navy. It includes historic renovated buildings and new construction totaling 175 townhomes and apartments.
Since 1999, more than 3,000 people have stayed at Sand Point Housing in their journey from homelessness to stability. Today, nearly 500 people (including almost 250 children and youth) live in a thriving community with onsite support services at Sand Point.
After School Tutor
- Volunteers will help provide one-on-one and group tutoring support to children and youth in Sand Point Housing’s Children’s Program, usually after-school and in the evenings. Tutoring occurs under the guidance of a Children’s Group Specialist staff.
- Volunteer tutors support students by providing one-on-one help with homework, reading and writing skills, basic math skills, and other academic subjects in a positive environment.
- Volunteers are needed during the following homework help and tutoring groups:
- After-school homework help, primarily elementary school students as well as some middle school students. This group is run Monday-Friday 2:30pm-5pm.
- Monday and Tuesday evening tutoring groups for children ages 11-18, 6-7:30pm.
- One-on-one tutoring outside of group hours may also be an option for volunteers with parental permission and appropriate background checks completed.
- Willingness and ability to work with children and families from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles, sexual orientations, and of all ages.
- Ability to work effectively with children in a group and individual setting.
- Ability to be non-judgmental, positive, respectful, creative, consistent and flexible.
- Problem solving skills to manage issues or behaviors that may arise.
- Must have strong human relations skills to work effectively with diverse team of staff and participants.
- Experience working in the educational, social and human services fields is a plus but not required.
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Child Care
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- two hours per week for a minimum of three months
- Applicants will be asked to complete a brief volunteer applications, provide three references, ag
- Cooking Matters Class Assistant
- 55 or older? Improve food...
- Child Care
- Child/Youth Group Assistant
- Nutrition Education: Class...
- RSVP - for those 55 & older, and...
- Chef Instructor
- 55 or older? Help a child reach...
- RSVP needs volunteers to assist...
- Adult Day and Companionship
- Share Your Love of Cooking and...
- Nutrition Instructor
- 55 or older? Mentor newly...
- After School Tutor