Title: Certified CGC Dog Trainer & Evaluator
Reports To: Executive Director
Compensation: Fulltime salary comensurate with experience and industry
The CGC Trainer will plan, direct and implement the Pets Loyal 2 Vets Canine Good Citizen dog training program and training schedule for training classes at our training facility just south of Bursnville, MN, and PL2V’s objectives and overall mission. The CGC Trainer will deliver fully trained CGC certified dogs to designated veterans enrolled in our program, completing both animal and animal/veteran training fully and efficiently.
We've received over 1,500 viewings of this position indicating there is a strong interest in training dogs. If you feel you hav the certified skills and experience we are looking for, apply here or go to our web site at http://petsloyal2vets.org/jobs/master-dog-trainer/ and apply. If you are serious about training dogs for Minnesota veterans and live close to our training facility, we want to hear from you.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide overall leadership, support and direction for the care and maintenance of all PL2V candidate dogs and associated supplies, equipment and dog-related facilities and Attend monthly Board meetings with updates. Provide input into the annual strategic plan to help meet objectives of the number of dogs trained (20) dogs per year and veterans served, as well as the budget and resources required to meet the deliverables.
2. Develop, maintain and implement PL2V’s animal training manual in accordance with PL2V’s defined training plans and objectives, ADI, AKC, ADA specifications and with guidance from PL2V’s Executive Director. Adhere to the training manual throughout the training process to ensure delivery of high-quality dogs. Ensure all elements of animal care are consistent with the overall training program, and all personnel interacting with the dogs do so under your guidance and direction.
3. Develop and maintain the records, logs, forms and processes necessary to implement the program and comply with all standards.
4. Promote PL2V’s mission and objectives, and especially the training program, both internally and externally. Attend PL2V events in support of the organization and reflect PL2V’s mission, values and objectives in all interactions with both internal and external customers.
5. Assist the organization, as required and/or directed by PL2V’s Executive Director, in identifying, screening and sourcing appropriate candidate dogs for the PL2V program. Further define and qualify specific dogs for the different levels of veteran care required (companion, service, therapy). Work with subordinate trainers, whether volunteers or salaried, as well as foster care volunteers to instruct them per PL2V training guidelines.
6. Must be certified in CGC, a skilled AKC evaluator, or Therapy Dogs International TDI certified through Pet Partners or Assistance Dogs Internatiuonal ADI certified or be able to get certified very soon and obtain any other certifications deemed necessary to stay current in these certifications. Once dogs are CGC certified, they are then trained for several months to mitigate the symptoms associated with PTSD with the service member.
7. Conduct confidential meetings and training sessions with veterans to be paired with a dog. Assist the Executive Director in screening potential candidates and aid in the interviewing process. Meet with candidate veterans to interview in a confidential manner to determine specific needs and identify specific training protocols to meet their needs with a highly trained service dog.
8. Besides your in house duties, you will be attending special events, public socializing, attend photo shoots, fundraising events, media and public relations events, annual banquets and other events as required showcasing our dogs.
9. As a key holder to the trainer center, you will be responsible for opening and closing for training classes, turning out lights and making sure all doors are locked and the facility is in order before you leave. We have DVD snart TV, wifi and Internet on the property at your disposal for training purposes.
Education and Experience:
1. 2 year degree in Animal Sciences or Veterinary Technician training
2. 3+ solid years beginning to advanced level CGC certification and evaluation dog training experience
3. Certifications: CGC minimum, ADI certification a huge plus, (TDI or ADI therapy dog certified, AKC Master Trainer/Screener a giant plus.) Additional certifications considered
4. Physical requirements: Able to stand and be on your feet training; lifting dogs when required, training and socializing.
Pets Loyal 2 Vets is looking to fill this parttime paid position with the right trainer. Two classes per week with up to 1.5 hours total time per class is only 12 hours per month. Your time is also included for interviewing veterans, screening potential dog candidates with the Executive Director and any makeup classes so total estimated hours per month woulkd be from 12 to 25 hours.
If you feel you are qualified to fulfill this position and have been CGC training dogs already, and would like to discuss this exciting position further, please give our Executive Director, Jeff LeBaron a call at 612-396-3369. This is a paid position and one we take very seriously. Qualified candidates who may be missing TDI or ADI certifications will be considered if tenure in training is there and certification can be obtained in the near future. Competetive compensation based on experience.
For information on PetsLoyal2Vets programs, visit our web site at www.PetsLoyal2Vets.org. Go to the volunteer tab and select positions. Click or copy this link to apply via our web site at http://petsloyal2vets.org/jobs/master-dog-trainer/
Male or Female Veteran preference a plus
We are looking for highly trained trainers within the Twin Cities who have no conflicts of interest. Applicants who do not qualify or are from outside the Twin Cities will not be considered or responded to.
- Animal Welfare
- Animal Care / Handling
- Mental Health
- Veteran Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 40 - 45 hours per week
- Must have reliable transportation and have the ability to perform all aspects of the position.