Rural Development Centre (RUDEC), Cameroon is a not-for-profit organization located in the Boyo Division of the North-West Region in Cameroon. Since our inception we have been engaged in providing social security for the local communities in Belo; we strive to cater particularly to the increasing population of orphaned children within the community, equipping them with the necessary life skills in the form of education and vocational training. Children only graduate from our care once they have acquired the transferable skills and basic start up tools necessary to transition into employment. This is the crux of our Orphan Education and Care Program at RUDEC. We persevere not only to provide education but also in making sure that that education is instrumental in the betterment of the child’s future. The program is financed by donations from benefactors the world over as well direct sponsorships. RUDEC is currently looking for international volunteers who would help facilitate the program. It requires highly motivated individuals who would like to devote their time towards the betterment of the local community at Belo by imparting traditional or vocational education.
- Be proficient in a particular skill be it mechanical, electrical, carpen try or otherwise. Individuals imparting varying skills would greatly add to the diversity of the vocations on offer.
- Volunteers who would like to be involved in traditional teaching are also welcome.
- Framing the curriculum keeping in mind the employability of the graduating students.
- Welcome but not required: identify ing opportunities for growth and diversification of the current education system.
- Coordinate with the Sponsor a Child Project Manager .
- Effective communication: The teacher-volunteer should be able to communicate the full extent of their knowledge to their students to realize the maximum benefits of their efforts.
- Sensitivity: The volunteer should be sensitive to the specific needs of the students as two students will never be the same.
- Adaptability: The volunteer should be able to adapt and operate within the Cameroonian culture.
- Resourcefulness: Volunteer should be abl e to work within the constraint of limited resources.
- Coordination: Coordinating between various groups or classes to ensure the uniformity of curriculum among their students.
- Liaison: Liaising with Project Manager and keeping them updated regarding the progress of sponsored children.
- Personal Initiative: Drive and motivation to implement the change they envisioned when they chose to volunteer with RUDEC.
- Academic: Graduation
- In case of vocational training: practicing or retired professionals in their relevant fields.
- Knowledge of English: Required.
Volunteering with RUDEC:
RUDEC offers its international volunteers the opportunity to experience and integrate within the local communities. Volunteers often accomplish this by learning the local language, enquiring about the Cameroonian culture and sometimes sampling or even mastering the local cuisine. Thus, a volunteer in Cameroon has as much to teach, as they have to learn. For young prospective development professionals this is an excellent opportunity to gain practical field experience. Within a space of ten years RUDEC has established a satellite office in Germany which complements the developmental work of RUDEC, Cameroon, it has been registered as a Common Initiative Group (CIG) with the Government of Cameroon, it was finally registered as an Association with the Government in 2011, which gives it wider operational area. Hear what our volunteers have to say in this short video .
- Public Relations
- SWOT / GAP Analysis
- General Education
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 months minimum
- online application from RUDEC website at www.rudec.org/apply