Assistant, in Observatory
38 people are interested
Share your passion for all things astronomical by volunteering in the Crosby Ramsey Memorial Observatory, located on the rooftop of the Maryland Science Center. This position involves assisting Observatory Staff in running public programs. Volunteers will use a computer-controlled telescope to assist guests as they view the sun, moon, stars, planets and other astronomical events.
- Usher guests to/from the Observatory
- Provide general explanations to guests regarding astronomy topics
- Engage guests waiting in line in the Observatory; offer them a general idea of what to expect
- notice craters on the Moon
- notice phase of Venus
- spot moons of Saturn
- Operate main or subsidiary telescopes
- Facilitate activities for guests
- Ability to speak to and deal with public in courteous and friendly manner
- Outgoing; at ease with people of all ages
- Prior knowledge of astronomy and telescopes
Ability to ascend and descend stairs to and from the Observatory
Training: Will be p rovided by Observatory staff. You'll learn how to run the 1927, 8" Alvan Clark refracting telescope, as well as other telescopes at our disposal.
Schedule: Must be able to assist at least once a month for Friday evening or Saturday afternoon public viewing (more if you can). As with anything related to observing the sky, all Observatory volunteer shifts are weather dependent.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for more information and an application form. All volunteers must submit an application, and volunteer appointments are by interview only. All applicants (over the age of 18) must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
We'll work with your schedule.
601 Light StreetBaltimore, MD 21230
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Customer Service
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One 4-hr. shift/month, for 6 months or more.
- Must be able to use stairs to the Observatory