Share your passion for all things astronomical by volunteering in the Crosby Ramsey Memorial Observatory, located on the rooftop of MSC! Position involves assisting Observatory Staff in running public programs. Volunteers will use a computer controlled telescope to assist guests as they view the sun, moon, stars, planets and other astronomical events.
- Usher guests to/from the Observatory
- Provide general explanations to guests regarding astronomy topics
- Engage guests waiting in line in the Observatory; offer them a general idea of what to expect
- notice craters on the Moon
- notice phase of Venus
- spot moons of Saturn
- Operate main or subsidiary telescopes
- Facilitate activities for guests
- Ability to speak to and deal with public in courteous and friendly manner
- Prior knowledge of astronomy and telescopes preferred, but willingness to learn is acceptable substitute
Ability to use stairs to the Observatory
Training: Provided by Observatory staff, where you will learn how to run the 1927, 8" Alvan Clark refracting telescope, as well as other telescopes at our disposal.
Schedule: Must be able to assist at least once per month for Friday night and/or Saturday afternoon public viewing. All observatory volunteer shifts are weather dependent.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for further information and application forms!
- Math / Science Instruction
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Friday nights and/or Saturday afternoons
- Must be able to use stairs to the Observatory
- Exhibits Shop Assistants: Help...
- Bus Greeter
- IMAX Theater Usher: Volunteer...
- Kids Room Educational Materials...
- Kids Room Educator: Teach, learn...
- Planetarium eBay Specialist
- SciLab Assistant: Help young...
- Lobby Ambassador
- Exhibit Facilitators: Assist MSC...
- Ticket Agent
- Science Educators! Inspire the...
- Science Store Cashier
- Group Mailings: Help MSC stay...
- Observatory Assistant:Share your...
- Traveling Science Media...
- Exhibits Fabricators
- Kids Room Upkeep Assistants