Position Title: Activity Assistant
Program/Department: Covenant Home of Chicago, The Hartwell, and Wesley Place
Reports To: Program Coordinator of Covenant Home; Supervisor of The Hartwell; or Activity Coordinator at Wesley Place
The primary purpose of your position is to enhance the experience of daily living by assisting the Activities Coordinator with providing engaging activities for residents. Examples include assisting the coordinator with arts and crafts projects and discussions. This also could include assisting the coordinator with supervising activities and meeting of needs of residents during special events or presentations.
Responsible To: Program Coordinator of Covenant Home; Supervisor of The Hartwell; or Activity Coordinator at Wesley Place
Supervises: This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Interrelationships: Residents/Clients/Tenants, Families, Co-Workers, Vendors, Visitors
Works Closely with: Activities Coordinator
TIME REQUIRED: Approximately an hour
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT: Individuals visits are welcomed. Weekly or monthly commitments are appreciated.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Consistently promotes interactions and activity that reflect the Mission and Values of the organization while consistently demonstrating and ensuring person centered customer service.
- Schedule volunteer time in advance with the Director of Covenant Home or Administrator of Wesley Place.
- If applicable, help with set up and distribution of materials for art projects and other activities.
- Log volunteer time by signing in and out on the Volunteer Log Sheet.
- Compliance and understanding of HIPAA laws.
- Performs similar and other duties as assigned.
ATTENDANCE AND WORK HABITS:
Is dependable and reliable when scheduled to work as evidenced by infrequent use of sick time, absent time and lateness. Follows dress code and practices principles of good health and hygiene. Illustrates positive attitude and good work habits as evidenced by effective communication, teamwork, quality of work and care, initiative, cooperation and adherence to all policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Interest in serving seniors and compassion for this population
- Possess strong listening skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong aptitude for written and verbal correspondence
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- Experience working with elderly population is desirable, but not required
SAFETY & EDUCATION
Attends all mandatory training. Completes drug test and background check. Knowledgeable of the emergency codes and understands and observes safety rules. Maintain clean and safe work area.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
When physical requirements are not essential job functions, reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities.
- Occasionally required to stand and walk continuously
- Ability to see, hear and speak continuously at a level to meet all essential functions of the job
- Activities required include occasional stooping, bending, reaching, occasional kneeling and squatting
- Physical work is of light demand with frequent lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 30lbs.
- Work is of high attention and mental demands including the ability to prioritize and process with accuracy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment