English as a Second Language (ESL) Teachers and Aides
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
DONATE TO THIS
125 people are interested
For 35 years, Canal Alliance has been a nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment. We believe that everyone has the right to achieve their dreams. Every day, Canal Alliance educates, empowers and supports motivated immigrants to best meet their unique needs - from putting food on the table to becoming American citizens to gaining critical English language skills and graduating from college. Because when we support immigrants, Marin becomes a place where everyone can live, work and succeed. Each year, Canal Alliance collaborates with over 40 agencies and engages 500 volunteers to impact more than 4,000 youth, adults and families.
Volunteer ESL Teacher and Teacher Aides
By providing instruction to adult English language learners, volunteers will contribute to Canal Alliance’s goal of supporting immigrants to acquire the tools they need to thrive in the community.
Summer Semester: September 10 -December 20, 2018
- Provide a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment with high expectations
- Prepare and deliver lesson plans in line with program goals and curriculum
- Build positive and respectful relationships with students
- Maintain accurate records of student attendance
- Administer and score student assessments
- Monitor student progress
- Support the teacher in keeping an accurate record of student attendance (Teacher Aides)
- Support the teacher with lesson delivery (assisting low-literacy students, working individually or in small groups with students who need help, assist the teacher in regards to supplies and class arrangements, etc.) (Teacher Aides)
- Ability to provide effective and engaging adult ESL instruction
- Ability to build positive relationships with students, staff, and other volunteers
- Ability to work with people of varied cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Bilingualism in English/Spanish preferred
- Alignment with Canal Alliance’s mission and ESL program goals
- Commitment to teach one to two 2-hour classes per week, with a strong preference for two classes per weekCommitment to teach for at least one full semester, with minimal absences, and attempt to find own sub from list provided when necessary
- Attend one mandatory volunteer training at the beginning of each semester
- Prior experience teaching adult learners, preferably in ESL
To apply, click here: https://www.canalalliance.org/volunteer
We'll work with your schedule.
91 Larkspur StreetSan Rafael, CA 94901
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Immigration Law
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week minimun
- Commitment to volunteer for the full term strongly preferred.