Through the benefits of psychiatric service dogs, Healing Companions, Inc. (founded in 2012) is dedicated to assisting individuals severely limited in their ability to function to lead lives with dignity, productivity, freedom and self-reliance.
Psychiatric Service Dogs are fully integrated into comprehensive care for individuals with mental illness:
- All persons that qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act ("ADA") in their limited ability to function will have access to fully trained psychiatric service dogs in order to diminish the effects of specific individual symptoms
- All health professionals will be fully informed about the legal, ethical, and psychosocial impact of psychiatric service dogs in the lives of individuals who are severely limited in their ability to function because of mental illness
- There will be a quality standard of care that is ethical for the individual, family, community, and the psychiatric service dogs
To raise awareness of the benefits of psychiatric service dogs:
- Through the distribution of the book, Healing Companions: Ordinary Dogs and Their Extraordinary Power to Transform Lives
- Through the development and airing of a public television documentary based on Healing Companions and the work of psychiatric service dogs.
- To identify national media spokespersons that can expand awareness of Healing Companions, Inc.
To raise funds through private donations and grants to pay for expenses associated with:
- acquiring and training psychiatric service dogs (e.g., trainer, veterinary care, equipment, video cam)
- educating the public and professionals about psychiatric service dogs
- To create a network of trainers who are qualified to work with service dogs to train them to meet the personalized needs of individual clients
- To integrate psychiatric service dogs into the curriculum of mental health professional training (e.g., psychiatry, psychology, social work)
- To create a network of people and communities that are dedicated to learning more about and raising awareness and support for Healing Companions, Inc.
- To generate an evidence base for the use of psychiatric service dogs for individuals who meet the ADA criteria
- Mental Health
- Grant Writing / Research
- Technical Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment