Job Title : Marketing and Communications Director
Type: Non-Compensated Volunteer Position (Part-time Telecommuting is OK)
Hours : 10-20 hours/week, 6-8 months period
Reports to : Executive Director
About the Position:
The Marketing Director oversees and manages activities, procedures and tasks related to marketing campaigns and initiatives. This is a volunteer position, which offers qualified candidates the opportunity to gather experience and to prove their capabilities in a non-profit organization environment engaging with Bay Area companies of all sizes in the field of sustainability. We are looking for motivated individuals who enjoy collaborating in a team environment, provide directions, set effective strategies and represent SSV’s initiatives.
It is assumed that the candidate will have his/her own laptop and communications tools. Microsoft Office skills are a plus (a computer can be provided, if needed). In return for the volunteer hours, the benefits to the volunteer candidate include, but are not limited to the following: job reference letter from the Executive Director of SSV, experience gained while volunteering on various projects, networking opportunities, and current resume entry. Most importantly, you will be helping the organization work towards its vision of a sustainable region, a thriving economy, a healthy environment and socially equitable community. This is an unpaid volunteer position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
6. Oversee newsletters, SSV website content and social media communications.
7. Actively involve or support in phone campaigns targeting new partners, members and volunteers.
8. Analyze publication platforms (press, Internet, TV & radio) and help develop and execute campaigns, using appropriate channels to grow SSV partner community, achieve higher publicity, and enhance profile.
9. Support SSV Administration in ensuring up to date partner, prospect, and volunteer contacts.
10. Manage correspondence and reply, forward, follow-up as appropriate in a professional fashion.
11. Create and modify documents such as reports, emails, letters and meeting minutes using text processing, spreadsheet, database or presentation software such as Microsoft Office or similar programs.
12. Set up and coordinate meetings and conferences.
13. May oversee research, and prepare papers for consideration and presentation to the Executive Director, SSV Board of Directors, and staff.
14. Participate in general office activities
15. May supervise volunteers and other support personnel.
16. Participate and assist in SSV events and workshops.
17. Manage, coach and provide effective directions to the team
18. Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of partner, staff and agency information.
19. Prepare effective strategies to promote SSV initiatives and represent SSV
Qualities and Skills:
Marketing and Communications
Good Communication and Interpersonal skills
Ability to collaborate and work well as part of a cross- functional team
Technical Skills ( Web Marketing)
Experience in working with PC or Mac and standard office applications (e.g. MS Word, MS PowerPoint and MS Excel). Experience with email marketing tools such as Constant Contact, is a bonus.
Founded in 2000, Sustainable Silicon Valley is a nonprofit dedicated to addressing tough sustainability challenges. SSV brings together leading tech companies, cities, counties, and research and educational institutions to solve sustainability issues that cannot be solved alone. SSV envisions a net positive Bay Area by 2050 where we produce more energy than we consume, sequester more carbon than we emit, and optimize water resources to ensure water resilience. Our strategy is to facilitate measurable projects, education, events, and policies that deliver solutions by activating SSV’s member network to reach the net positive Bay Area goals. Membership with SSV is a great avenue to share knowledge and connect with leaders in the Silicon Valley
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment