Financial Coach Volunteer- Bilingual in Spanish or Mandarin
Fremont Family Resource Center
Build Your Community. One Life At A Time.
The Fremont Family Resource Center is recruiting an individual with a background in accounting, finance or social work to coach low income families and individuals in achieving financial self-sufficiency and stability.
About SparkPoint Fremont:
SparkPoint is an initiative developed by the United Way Bay Area and provides low-income Bay Area residents with free financial coaching, resources and education to help them become financially self-sufficient. We focus on helping individuals increase income and assets, decrease debt, and increase credit. SparkPoint Fremont is a program under the City of Fremont, Human Services Department, Fremont Family Resource Center Division and is the lead agency in coordinating services among 13 SparkPoint partner agencies providing employment services, benefits, training opportunities, tax preparation, and landlord tenant mediation just to name a few.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
Under supervision of the Administrator or her designee, the SparkPoint Fremont Volunteer Financial Coach provides the following services:
- Conducts comprehensive financial assessments with clients seeking SparkPoint services, utilizing the SparkPoint intake and baseline tools.
- Works with each SparkPoint client to develop his/her own individual plan, and then set up appointments as needed to support the client on implementation.
- Consultations (by appointment) on financial matters such as opening and maintaining bank and credit union accounts, saving, budgeting, retirement, asset building and management, and credit repair.
- Triage and refer clients to appropriate SparkPoint services and to other community and FRC services.
- Maintain data on client services for case management and grant reporting including data reporting for Exponent Case Management (ECM). Conduct quarterly follow-up assessment with all SparkPoint clients.
- Work as a team member with SparkPoint Fremont staff and partners and participate in regional trainings and meetings as indicated and available.
What We're Looking For:
- Good people and listening skills is an absolute must
- Language capacity in Spanish or Mandarin is preferred
- Financial coaching/counseling and/or financial planning experience
- Good written and oral skills are required
- The ability to work with individuals from many different cultures and backgrounds
- The ability to patiently assist clients to achieve their long-term goals by taking incremental steps
We are looking for volunteers to serve at the Fremont Family Resource Center located at 39155 Liberty Street, Suite A-110, Fremont, CA 94538; and at the Union City Family Center located at 725 Whipple Road, Union City, CA 94587.
We ask that all volunteers commit to a minimum of one year so that they are able to build a relationship with those they are coaching. Volunteers are expected to commit to working a consistent time each week, for a four-hour shift preferably late afternoon to evening hours. Training will be provided and is required; and volunteers will have access to opportunities for additional training throughout their tenure.
We are looking to fill this volunteer position ASAP.
How To Apply:
Interested candidates should apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and brief description of your interests and/or experience with financials, accounting, financial coaching, or social work. For more information, please contact Carolyn Robertson at (510) 574-2003.