BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 21,000 refugees from nearly 50 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 800 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 1,500 refugees and asylees.
SCOPE OF NEW ROOTS INTERN WORK: The New Roots Intern reports directly to the Community Integration Manager and supports efforts under IRC’s New Roots program. New Roots focuses on bringing refugees together to build connections with their new homes through nutrition, healthy lifestyles, and community gardening. The New Roots program in Atlanta is currently comprised primarily of educational and material support around food and nutrition and we are actively looking to expand into urban and community gardening.
- Research potential garden sites and innovative garden techniques that can be replicated
- Act as a point of contact and liaison with clients, community groups, and partner agencies to help support and organize New Roots efforts
- Work with clients to identify needs and ways to meet these in regards to nutrition and food security
- Support IRC in developing educational tools and opportunities around nutrition and healthy lifestyles
- Develop stories, postings, and other online and social media material
- Strong interest in working with international clients
- Proven ability to work with consideration and respect for cross-cultural differences
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- The ideal candidate will have some technical knowledge and experience in urban gardening and organizing.
- Interns must be able to work at least 15 hours a week
- Some weekend and/or evening hours in addition to regular business hours will be required
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- EL- Civics Education Intern
- Computer Literacy Intern
- Immigration Program Intern
- Youth Futures Program Intern
- First Things First Women's...
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- English as a Second Language-...
- Community Health Promoter Intern
- Logistics Volunteer
- Job Placement Americorps
- Public Relations Intern
- Childcare Micro-enterprise...
- English as a Second Language...
- Fundraising Intern
- Donations Intern
- Employment Services Intern
- Logistics Intern
- Volunteer and External Relations...
- Economic Empowerment Volunteer
- Health and Wellness Americorps