The Center for Nonprofit Housing (CNH) provides members of the community with quality, affordable housing by offering grants through their Homebuyer Assistance Program (HAP). To qualify for HAP with TrueNorth Community Services, clients must complete mandatory classes, including: Homebuyer Education Class, Financial Fitness Class, and Home Maintenance Class.
A skilled volunteer is needed to lead the Home Maintenance Class, which meets once every 2 months for 4 hours to provide a hands-on learning experience designed to provide participants with information that enables them to perform basic home repairs and upkeep. The class focuses on: electrical, heating, plumbing, and structural and energy efficiency.
The ideal volunteer for this position would have a background in home repair and maintenance, a passion for instructing others, and possess a positive and patient attitude.
* Participate in training provided by TrueNorth
* Use TrueNorth’s provided curriculum, tools, and materials in teaching course
* Direct 5-6 households once every two months for 4 hours (flexible) on basic home repair and maintenance instruction
* Volunteers must be 18
* Background check required
* Able to maintain strict confidentiality standards
* Friendly personality with a willingness to be patient with new learners
* General working knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems
* General working knowledge of dry wall and other minor structural repair
* General working knowledge of energy efficiencies techniques (insulation, energy efficient light bulbs, etc.)
Training: Training will be provided by CNH staff or existing volunteers for each of the volunteer responsibilities. Staff members are also available to answer questions that may arise.
Time Commitment: Volunteers must commit to teaching at least one 4 hour course every two months.
Please contact Veronica Turien, CNH Director, at 231.924.0641 ext. 132 or email vturien @cnhousing.org for more information
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment