Teens have a lot on their plate, like taking on higher level academics, figuring out post-high school plans, applying for college and looking for jobs. Volunteers in the Teen Program have the awesome task of being there to help them tackle these questions and grow their real-world skills!
In this program volunteers spend one to two hours a week on a diverse array of potential activities. Sometimes it’s casual conversation and mentoring. Sometimes it is detailed and intensive school work. Sometimes it’s a sports break. Occasionally it is teenage banter. Whatever the particulars, you can always count each day being unique!
What Teen Program Volunteers do:
- Help teens get the most out of school and prepare for high school and beyond
- Work with individual and small groups of teens, developing a positive, trusting relationship
- Assist 7 th - 12 th grade students with homework, structured enrichment activities, and possibly college prop activities for at least 2 hours a week
- Work with staff and other volunteers to maintain a welcoming, positive environment
What we are looking for:
- Enthusiasm for helping teens learn and develop
- Consistent weekly attendance
- Experience and/or interest in 7th-12th grade students
- Self-directed, flexible and patient
- Able to engage teens of diverse backgrounds and skill levels
- Commitment to empower others through sharing your skills and knowledge and serving as a role model for participants
- Commitment to communicate with program staff about absences and concerns
What the supports and benefits to volunteering are:
- Orientation and Training provided prior to program start.
- On-site guidance, encouragement and coaching from program staff
- Relevant ongoing trainings-volunteers commit to at least 2 hours of onsite or community training per semester
- Onsite resources including computers, reading and reference materials and college access information
- Experience in working with diverse groups of youth and supporting their math, literacy, social & life skills
- Make a difference in a teen’s life and your community!
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Once a week