Become a Tutor/Mentor to Chicago Youth!
WhenMon Oct 03, 2016 06:00 PM - Thu May 11, 2017 07:30 PM
WhereChicago Lights126 E. Chestnut StreetChicago, IL 60611
Celebrating its 52nd year of service, Tutoring provides academic support to children living in under-resourced neighborhoods on the near north and west sides of Chicago. Each year, 400 children in 1st -12th grades are enrolled in the Tutoring Program and need an adult volunteer to encourage success through homework assistance and personal development. At the program, students are offered dinner, arts and enrichment classes, access to a computer lab, a library, career development classes, literacy programs and the attention of a caring adult.
Tutoring this year will begin the week of October 3-6, and we would love for you to join us! You can volunteer in one of two ways:
Permanent, One-to-One Tutor/Mentor (Monday - Thursday, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm)
- You pick one night that works best for you and commit to tutoring the same student that same evening each week.
- You meet with your student each week to enhance their education and school preparedness.
- The relationship you will build with your student provides limitless opportunities for you to offer encouragement that can have a positive impact on the student’s life for years to come.
Casual Substitute Tutor (Monday- Thursday, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm)
- In this position, you simply come to the program when it is convenient for you and work with a student whose tutor was delayed at the last minute.
- This volunteer position is flexible and allows you to determine the time commitment that is appropriate for you. Substitute tutors are needed most evenings and are extremely helpful in providing support and homework help to a student who would have otherwise been without a tutor for the evening.
The Chicago Lights Tutoring Program runs from October-May, Monday-Thursday evenings.
Please attend one of our New Volunteer Orientation sessions to learn about the program and the volunteer opportunities available in more depth.
- Tuesday, August 30
- Tuesday, September 6
- Tuesday, September 13
- Wednesday, September 14
- Monday, September 19
6:00pm-7:30pm at The Gratz Center, Fourth Presbyterian Church
(126 E. Chestnut St. Chicago, IL 60611)
Please RSVP for one of the orientations by going to tutoringnvo2016.eventbrite.com or contact Meg at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.274.3816 with any questions.
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training