BEST Kids is a 501c(3) non-profit organization that provides one-on-one mentoring to foster care children in the District of Columbia. Foster care children are the most at-risk population of children in America, and there are about 1,000 in the District of Columbia's child welfare system. We are currently in need of mentors who live in the following places:
- Washington, DC
- Prince George’s County, Maryland
- Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Charles County, Maryland
- Fairfax County, Virginia
- Arlington County, Virginia
Requirements to become a mentor:
- You must be 21 years old or older
- You must be in the DC area long enough to fulfill your 1 year commitment
- You must have access to a reliable vehicle; either you own a car or have a subscription to Zipcar, etc.
- You must have a clean driving record and clean criminal background record
Responsibilities of being a Mentor:
1) Be a positive adult role model and commit to your mentoring relationship for at least one year.
2) See your mentee for ten hours a month, with some form of weekly contact with your mentee. Weekly contact can consist of face-to-face meetings, phone calls, emails, or postcards. However, the majority of those hours must be face-to-face.
3) Attend BEST Kids Peer Groups every 2nd Saturday of the month with your mentee. These are fun, free and organized specifically for the mentors and mentees in our four age appropriate groups. Each group meets together for an educational and enrichment opportunity. It is a great support network for the mentors and the youth are able to build friendships with other youth in similar life situations. Some of our recent Peer Groups include: Arts/Improv Workshops, Sporting Events, Museum Scavenger Hunts, Career Workshops, Kayaking on the Anacostia, etc.
4) Complete the background check and clearance process within 8 weeks. Please review our website for specifics on the clearance process:
5) Attend a match meeting with your mentee and the closure meeting when your commitment ends.
6) Complete a simple online monthly report about your mentoring relationship.
BEST Kids Support:
1) Every mentor has a BEST Kids Mentor Support Specialist - a point person at BEST Kids to help guide and support your mentoring relationship.
2) In addition to our initial training process, BEST Kids also offers quarterly ongoing trainings from educational and health professionals. Additionally, BEST Kids maintains an internal mentoring program for veteran mentors to help new mentors grow.
3) BEST Kids sends out a weekly e-mail to mentors with free and cheap events taking place in the DMV! Mentors are often offered free tickets to events in the area to enjoy with their mentee. BEST Kids also provides resources in the community specifically for mentees.
As a Mentor, you may become the only consistent, caring adult between their foster care placements. You'd be surprised at what a little time can do for a child in foster care. Not to mention what it can do for you!
Please contact our Recruitment and Development Coordinator, Danny Silbert at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1 Year Minimum
- 10 Hours a Month