DONATE TO THIS
36 people are interested
Patient Companion or Family support volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Community Healthcare of Texas
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
36 people are interested
Patient Companion and Family Support Volunteers provide practical help and emotional support to terminally ill patients and their families. As a volunteer with Community Healthcare of Texas, you’ll serve both patients and families wherever the patient calls home, whether it’s their personal residence or an assisted living facility. Typically, volunteers visit a patient once a week for 2-3 hours. Activities you might participate in include everything from socializing with the patient, to running errands, doing small household tasks or simply sitting quietly as a comforting presence.
Assignments are made as close to your home/office as possible. Volunteers are given choices of who they visit and where they go.
An initial volunteer orientation is required of all Community Healthcare of Texas volunteers. Training and support programs are offered on a regular basis, to ensure that your service experience is meaningful and rewarding. There is no cost for training, and sessions are offered throughout the year.
Some things that Patient Companion and Family Support Volunteers might do:
* Make regular home visits to offer companionship and socialization.
* Stay with the patient so the caregiver can run errands.
* Provide opportunities for the caregiver to rest.
* Serve as a willing and sensitive listener.
* Interact with the patient by reading, playing games, or doing arts and crafts.
* Assist around the house with preparing light meals, walking the dog, or making telephone calls.
* Run errands such as grocery shopping or pick up prescriptions.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Direct Patient Volunteer, please call/text our Volunteer Coordinator, Rayne Delgado at 682-681-4173 or visit our website at http://www.chot.org to complete an online Volunteer Inquiry form.
Do you have a specialized skill that you think could be a benefit to our patients? Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss potential opportunities!
About Community Healthcare of Texas
6100 Western Place, Suite 105, Fort Worth, TX 76107, US
To provide compassionate, quality care and support for the terminally ill and their loved ones.
As the largest not-for-profit hospice and palliative care organization in Texas, we are proud to offer adult and pediatric palliative care and hospice services to our patients and their families. Community Healthcare of Texas is a not-for-profit organization, and thanks to the generosity of our donors, we are committed to ensuring every patient and family has access to compassionate end-of-life care services, regardless of their ability to pay.
These are just a few of the volunteer opportunities where you can make a difference:
- Patient care volunteers visit with patients to offer friendship and companionship, give needed respite time for caregivers, run errands, or help with light household work.
- Interpreter volunteers facilitate communication between palliative care and hospice professionals and families through staff visits and/or phone calls.
- Grief support volunteers Assist with plans for bereavement activities and events, including gatherings and memorial services, or offer support for families through phone calls and cards.
- Community outreach volunteers are the face of Community Healthcare of Texas by helping at health fairs, activities, events, and conferences throughout the community.
Addresses VaryCedar Hill, TX 75104
September 20, 2022
- Patient Care
- Hospice Care
- Relationship Building
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- No specific time commitment. Give what you can give, when you can give. Most visits are 1-2 hours with some exceptions, but no specifics hour/day commitment.
- COVID-19 Vaccine