Direct Patient Volunteer with The Denver Hospice
48 people are interested
The Denver Hospice, founded in 1978, is the region's leading, largest and most trusted nonprofit provider of life-enhancing hospice and palliative care. That means we offer more expertise, more resources and a more complete continuum of compassionate care to patients facing life-limiting illnesses and end-of-life transition. That means our patients and their families get more from life. Our skilled teams are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and care for patients wherever they reside - in their own homes, skilled-care facilities, hospitals or at our own Inpatient Care Center at Lowry. Headquartered in metro Denver, we support patients and families throughout nine Colorado counties - from Boulder to Castle Rock and from Golden to Bennett.
Volunteers are important members of our circle of care and we truly value and support our volunteers! We require volunteers to be at least 18 years old and able to provide their own transportation. We expect a commitment of at least 1 year, volunteering 2-3 times per month. We prohibit volunteers from promoting products or services to our patients and families and we are unable to support community service hours.
Please contact our Volunteer Engagement Department at 303-228-5610 or firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Application, interview and training required for clinical and office support volunteers.
Direct patient volunteers provide respite for caregivers and companionship/socialization for hospice patients wherever they call home. This can include visiting with patients, letter writing, playing cards, reading, and providing emotional support. Special programs include:
- Integrative Therapies
- Animal assistance - certification/registration through Human-Animal Bond in Colorado (HABIC) or Denver Pet Partners (DPP) is required, or willingness to go through program
- Reiki - must be certified Level 1, or willingness to go through a training class provided through The Denver Hospice
- Music - education and/or experience required
- 11th Hour
- Serving at the bedside of actively dying patients. Training class provided by The Denver Hospice required
- Supporting Veterans
- Providing company for patients who are Veterans - whether you’re a Veteran yourself, have a Veteran family member, or are just interested in supporting Veterans
- Helping Hands
- Providing company for residents at skilled care and assisted living facilities by being present for good conversation, hosting dances, playing card games and bingo nights
We'll work with your schedule.
Metropolitan Denver areaBoulder to Castle RockGolden to BennettDenver, CO 80246
- Animal Therapy
- Music Arts
- Hospice Care
- Patient Care
- Veteran Care
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 times per month, hours vary