VITAS is looking for kind and caring people to help terminally ill patients and their families. Friendly visits, simple errands, providing a listening ear and the gift of friendship at a crucial time can make a real difference in another's life. Yours, too! Responsibilities includeL providing respite care (sit with a patient while the caregiver takes a break); friendly visits to patients and their families at home or in a nursing home; reading; writing letters, playing games, driving a patient or family member to appointments; accompanying a patient to a church function, wedding, beauty shop, play, ballgame; run errands to the grocery store, drug store, post office; assist with programs and special events. Other Volunteer Opportunities Available: Bereavement Volunteer, Administrative Volunteer, Hair Care/Cosmetology Volunteer (license required) Life Review/Legacy Volunteers, Veteran Volunteer, Massage Volunteer (license required), PAW Pal Pet Volunteer (certification required), Memory Bear Makers, Photography Volunteers, Spiritual Care Volunteers, Telephone Assurance Volunteers, Veteran Volunteers, Telephone Assurance Program. ALL Volunteers must attend a 2 day Orientation to gain the knowledge you will need to work with terminally ill patients. These are held every other month on 2 consecutive Saturdays.
- Patient Care
- People Skills
- Hospice Care
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 weekly visits, generally 1-2 hrs + travel time
- 2016 Orientation Dates Remaining: Jul 23 & 30, Sept 3 & 10, Nov 5 & 12
- A Hospice Cosmetology Volunteer
- A Hospice Patient Care Volunteer
- A Hospice "Life Review" Volunteer
- A Hospice Veteran Volunteer
- A Hospice Telephone Assurance...
- Administrative Hospice Volunteer
- A Hospice Alternative Therapy...
- A Hospice Volunteer-Teen Program
- A Hospice Bereavement Volunteer
- A Hospice Memory Bear Sewer
- A Hospice "Paw Pal" Pet Volunteer