OMSI Earth Science Hall Volunteer Educator (age 18+)
22 people are interested
The Earth Science Hall focuses on how earth systems and humans affect each other. The Earth Hall includes the Earth Science Lab and an exhibit called Science On a Sphere (SOS). SOS is a six-foot diameter globe with data visualizations projected on it. These include weather, real-time earthquakes, climate change models, and ocean currents. Earth Science volunteers facilitate learning in the hall and Earth Science Lab through one-on-one interactions, hands-on demonstrations, and Science On a Sphere presentations.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Help visitors interact with exhibits in the Earth Science Lab. These include a stream table, and exhibits on density, plate tectonics, renewable energy, and climate change.
- Present Science On a Sphere presentations to groups of 5 to 60 visitors.
- Conduct hands-on demos and activities with visitors.
- Help maintain the hall and lab. This includes setting up and taking down the stream table and resetting exhibits in the Earth Science Lab between visitors.
- Assist staff in hall/lab management and safety.
- Assume other tasks as assigned by hall staff.
- Have an Earth Science background in earth system topics such as plate tectonics, weather and climate, or ocean systems.
- Willing and able to present Science on a Sphere presentations with a microphone in front of audiences of 5 - 60 visitors
- Committed to sharing accurate science information.
- Must enjoy interacting with the public.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Able to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
- Teaching / Instruction
- Environmental Education
- General Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 8 hours per month for 9 months or longe