The Earth Science Hall focuses on how earth systems and humans affect each other. The Earth Hall includes the Earth Science Lab and an exhibit called Science On a Sphere (SOS). SOS is a six-foot diameter globe with data visualizations projected on it. These include weather, real-time earthquakes, climate change models, and ocean currents. Earth Science volunteers facilitate learning in the hall and Earth Science Lab through one-on-one interactions, hands-on demonstrations, and Science On a Sphere presentations.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Help visitors interact with exhibits in the Earth Science Lab. These include a stream table, and exhibits on density, plate tectonics, renewable energy, and climate change.
- Present Science On a Sphere presentations to groups of 5 to 60 visitors.
- Conduct hands-on demos and activities with visitors.
- Help maintain the hall and lab. This includes setting up and taking down the stream table and resetting exhibits in the Earth Science Lab between visitors.
- Assist staff in hall/lab management and safety.
- Assume other tasks as assigned by hall staff.
- Have an Earth Science background in earth system topics such as plate tectonics, weather and climate, or ocean systems.
- Willing and able to present Science on a Sphere presentations with a microphone in front of audiences of 5 - 60 visitors
- Committed to sharing accurate science information.
- Must enjoy interacting with the public.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Able to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
- Teaching / Instruction
- Environmental Education
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of 8 hours per month for 9 months or longe
- OMSI Submarine Tour Guide...
- OMSI Early Childhood Education...
- OMSI Chemistry Lab Volunteer...
- OMSI After Dark Education...
- OMSI Science Educator Volunteer
- OMSI Submarine Queuing Volunteer
- OMSI Guest Services Greeter (18+)
- OMSI Special Event Volunteer (18+)
- OMSI Food Science Volunteer (18+)
- OMSI Physics Lab Volunteer (age...
- OMSI Earth Science Hall...