Left Forum is looking for experienced volunteers to join our Social Media team, comprised of individuals with a passion for expanding the voices of social justice. We seek creative, skilled individuals interested in helping to monitor, manage, write and/or edit postings on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram.
About the Social Media Volunteer Position
Media and publicity work includes outreach and organizing coverage for events throughout the year and media coordination for the annual Left Forum conference. Attended by over 4,200 people in 2015, a consistent and vital component to the conference’s success is a well‐organized media row with live radio and television broadcasts, live webcasting, and the filming of events, speakers, and press conferences. Over the years, Left Forum has been covered and attended by journalists from Globo Networks, MSNBC, C‐Span, TeleSUR, RT, The Nation, Le Monde, Neues Deutschland, The Guardian, and many more.
We're a small organization with a dedicated group of organizers, staff, and volunteers with a passion for social justice, community organizing, and progressive change. Located in the CUNY Graduate Center, you'll be working in an interesting (and very relaxed) office where you'll interact, meet, and learn from scholars, activists, authors, and artists in a rewarding intellectual political milieu.
This volunteer position is most beneficial when carried out through the entire conference cycle (with post-conference work wrapping up in mid-June). Volunteer opportunities begin immediately.
- Help plan and implement online marketing campaigns that will promote Left Forum’s activities and upcoming events using Facebook, Twitter, and other social media
- Produce, edit, and share original content with our followers
- Help source articles and videos that connect to our audience’s interests
- Drive and manage social media campaigns from content creation to measurement of campaign success
- Work with Left Forum staff and conference organizers to promote small events throughout the year and a large annual conference in May
BACKGROUND AND DESIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of grassroots organizing and social justice
- Social media channel management and content creation experience
- Journalistic flair and/or applied writing skills for content production
- A high level of attention to detail
- The ability to see projects through to their completion
- Strong organizational skills
- The ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects
- The ability to work effectively, both individually and in a team
We ask for 10+ hours a week, although any amount of volunteer time will help. Hours are flexible and can be adapted to fit your schedule. We also ask for a minimum of a three-month commitment. This volunteer position is most beneficial when carried out through the entire conference cycle (which ends in mid-June). A modicum of computer skills is desired. Volunteer opportunities begin immediately.
Please send cover letter and/or resume to email@example.com
- Basic Computer Skills
- Public Relations
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Social Media / Blogging
- Internet Research
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Volunteers typically work 10+ hours a week or more