Cool Classics! is seeking individuals interested in bringing their professional skills to an engaged working Board of Directors that wants to expand its unique programs. IIt is an exciting time because Cool Classics! just won a 2017 Youth Program Award, given by National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, in cooperation with the National Assembly of State Arts Agencies.
Cool Classics! uses book-based, arts-integrated curricula to improve literacy and develop critical thinking skills. Since 2006 we have been introducing elementary school children in underserved communities to the world of ideas.
By focusing on close reading, rigorous discussion and deep analysis, we create a rich learning experience for our children that develops core competencies and enriches their understanding of literature, humanities, arts and culture while expanding their vocabulary in an engaging program. We hold our students to the highest academic standards and provide them with the tools for success.
Developed by an award-winning journalist and educator for small groups of public elementary school students in an after-school setting, Cool Classics! focuses on one classic book over a span of some 25 sessions. Each session begins with reading, followed by activities that relate back to the book’s themes and create the multi-faceted Cool Classics! experience.
Various measures indicate that the majority of children who participate in Cool Classics! achieve:
- Increased reading skills, comprehension and analysis
- Expanded vocabulary
- Highly developed critical thinking skills
- Greater enthusiasm for reading
- Expanded understanding of Art, Dance, Drama, Humanities, Literature and Music
The video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o0ytEjux_M&feature=youtu.be briefly describes our work. Our website at coolclassicschicago.org offers more information, galleries of our children's art and photos of their activities as well as an archive of our enewsletters.
A job description is below:
Title: Member, Board of Directors
Role: To conduct the business of Cool Classics!; to raise funds to finance the organization and its programs; to bring professional skills; to be an advocate for the organization and to monitor organizational performance
Term: Three years of active membership, as dictated by the Cool Classics! bylaws
Responsibilities & Powers of the Board:
- Bring professional expertise to the organization
- Establish policies and procedures
- Secure funds required for current expenses, as well as expansion plans as approved on by the Board
- Ensure financial affairs of agency are responsibly conducted
- Develop and implement a solid strategic plan
Specific Duties of a Member of the Board of Directors:
- Attend meetings regularly and on time
- Become well-informed about activities of the organization
- Contribute knowledge and express points of view based on experience
- Consider other points of view, make constructive suggestions and help the Board make group decisions reflecting the thinking of the total group
- Become a financial supporter of the agency at an appropriate level
- Assume leadership in agency fundraising efforts
- Assume leadership role as appropriate
- Represent the agency proudly and positively at community events with other organizations and with private individuals
- Avoid conflict of interest
- Strategic Planning
- Financial Planning
- Legal (General)
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment