Program: The JFS Foodmobile program has delivered warm kosher meals to San Diego’s homebound older adults and younger disabled adults for over 40 years. Volunteers are often the only visitors individuals receive and their smiles go along way. Warm meals and warm smiles are the essence of Foodmobile. In 2011, Mayer Jerry Sanders recognized Foodmobile for its outstanding impact in the community. He declared March 25 Foodmobile Day in San Diego County.
Goal of Position: To deliver warm meals and a warm smile to homebound older adults and younger disabled adults.
* Opportunity to help someone maintain their health and independence
* Bring a smile and friendly conversation to those without daily visitors
* Connect isolated adults to a caring community
* Deliver approximately 8-10 meals as assigned on the Foodmobile route sheet between the hours of 10:30am and 1:00pm
* Carry meal(s) into home, if asked
* Refer "at risk" participants to the Foodmobile office
* Return heating bags to Foodmobile kitchen
* Must be compassionate, friendly, caring, and patient with older adults and younger homebound adults
* Must be able to deliver meals in a timely fashion
1. Possess your own vehicle
2. Have valid insurance coverage for the car used to deliver meals
3. Have a current driver’s license
4. Must be at least 25 years old
5. Must submit background check
6. Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
7. Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Volunteer Engagement Department
Foodmobile delivers meals Monday through Friday from 10:30am to 1:00pm. Routes typically take two hours to complete. Service areas include the College/Del Cerro, Hillcrest/North Park, Downtown, Tierrasanta, and La Jolla. Volunteers are asked to make a minimum three month commitment. Volunteers can sign up for weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly routes.
Meals can be picked up at Jewish Family Service * Turk Family Center * 8804 Balboa Avenue * San Diego, CA * 92123
Immediate Supervisor: Foodmobile Coordinator
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Must have own transportation
- Development Administrative...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Food Pantry Downtown needs You...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Share your Knowledge, Talent,...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed...
- Serve Lunch to Older Adults at...
- Corner Market Volunteer
- Food Pantry needs your help to...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Cyber Cafe: Volunteer with Older...
- Child Activity Helper
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Nonprofit needs Reception...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant