Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The JFS Foodmobile program has delivered warm kosher meals to San Diego’s homebound older adults and younger disabled adults for over 40 years. Volunteers are often the only visitors individuals receive and their smiles go a long way. Warm meals and warm smiles are the essence of Foodmobile. In 2011, Mayor Jerry Sanders recognized Foodmobile for its outstanding impact in the community. He declared March 25 Foodmobile Day in San Diego County.
Goal of Position:
To deliver warm meals and a warm smile to homebound older adults and younger disabled adults.
- Opportunity to help someone maintain their health and independence
- Bring a smile and friendly conversation to those without daily visitors
- Connect isolated adults to a caring community
- Deliver approximately 6-12 meals as assigned on the Foodmobile route sheet between the hours of 10:30am & 1:30pm
- Carry meal(s) into home, if asked
- Refer "at risk" participants to the Foodmobile office
- Complete route sheets and return them to the Foodmobile office at the end of your shift
- Return heating bags/coolers to Foodmobile kitchen at the end of your shift
- Must be compassionate, friendly, caring, and patient with older adults and younger homebound adults
- Must be able to deliver meals in a timely fashion
- Possess your own vehicle
- Have valid insurance coverage for the car used to deliver meals
- Have a current driver’s license
- Must be at least 25 years old
- Must submit background check
- Complete a volunteer application at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend a JFS volunteer interview with Volunteer Engagement Department
Foodmobile delivers meals Monday through Friday from 10:30am to 1:30pm. Routes typically take 1.5-2 hours to complete. Service areas include the Chula Vista, East County, College/Del Cerro, Mid City/North Park, Downtown, Tierrasanta, and Coastal Areas. Volunteers are asked to make a minimum three month commitment. Volunteers can sign up for weekly routes.
Meals can be picked up at Jewish Family Service * Turk Family Center * 8804 Balboa Avenue * San Diego, CA * 92123
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 25
- Must have own transportation
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Volunteer ESL Instructor
- Lunch Service Table Captain
- Pro-Bono Legal Services Needed
- Food Drive Volunteer
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Volunteer Accounting Clerk
- St. Paul's Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed!
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Military Distribution Lead
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Merchandising & Stocking...
- Public Transportation Navigator