Asian American Leadership Empowerment and Development for Youth and Families (AALEAD) is a youth development organization. Our mission is to support low-income and underserved Asian Pacific American youth with educational empowerment, identity development, and leadership opportunities through after school, summer, and mentoring programs. For more information, please visit our web site at www.aalead.org.
Our Mentoring Program matches Asian American youth (10-18) with caring adults who support them one-on-one in their efforts to develop the academic and life skills necessary to succeed.
Roles of a Mentor: Mentors may take on many roles, depending on their mentees’ age and needs. They do some of the following:
- Have fun doing new activities together;
- Provide academic support;
- Model behavior;
- Listen carefully to their mentees' concerns;
- Enhance their mentees’ belief in their own potential;
- Advocate for their mentees’ needs;
- Open doors of opportunity.
Mentor Qualifications: AALEAD mentors must be:
- Committed to making a difference in a young person’s life;
- Able to act as a role model;
- Open-minded and willing to share and learn;
- Willing to act as a volunteer under the supervision of AALEAD;
- Over the age of 21;
- Pass Background and Reference Checks.
AALEAD requires that mentors commit to meeting with their mentees at least six hours a month for a minimum of one year. We want to emphasize that any commitment less than one year is not what AALEAD is looking for in a long and lasting relationship between the mentee and mentor.
Meeting places and times are decided by mentor and mentee (weekday afternoons/evenings or weekends). In return, AALEAD commits to providing you with the support and resources you need to learn and develop as a good mentor, and to ensure that the relationship is rewarding to both you and your mentee.
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 6 hours/month for a year