The Volunteer Sales Associate works to provide first-rate customer and donor services, maximizing sales and to support the daily operations of the store.
Essential Job Functions
Customer Service and Sales
- To understand and fully implement Housing Works’ customer service program which includes:
- The 10/4 Greeting
- The 4 Steps to Great Customer Service
- And the 5 Steps to Handling Customer Complaints
- Showcase exemplary customer/donor service, including but not limited to greeting, saying thank you, and explaining policies clearly and politely to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Prioritize assisting customers over all other store tasks.
- To be able to service multiple customers at one time with courtesy and sincerity.
- To employ suggestive selling techniques to better meet the customer’s needs.
- Know the daily sales goals and upcoming events or promotions.
- Actively promote upcoming events, sales, promotions and Housing Works mission at all stations and at all times.
- Assist with marketing store in neighborhood, especially during upcoming events.
- Cultivate relationships with repeat customers in order to serve them better.
- Preserve positive work-atmosphere by communicating with coworkers, volunteers, supervisors and customers/donors cordially and effectively.
Point of Sale/Cash Wrap
- Complete cash/charge transactions quickly and accurately, bag purchases efficiently and communicate upcoming events and promotions to the customer.
- Conduct furniture sales as outlined in policies and procedures manual.
- Maintain register cleanliness, cash wrap area must be clean and uncluttered, bags and supplies must be stocked and organized for efficiency.
- Greet and thank donors with walk-in donations and provide excellent customer service as per the Housing Works’ customer service program.
- Offer Donor Inventory Form and provide any assistance as necessary to the donor.
- Process merchandise according to store standards.
- Efficiently distribute goods to proper locations, taking into account all safety/processing guidelines.
General Duties/Asset Protection
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of sales floor, stock rooms, cash wrap, and fitting rooms.
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity and enforce/uphold all Housing Works policies and procedures.
- Utilizing the 10/4 greeting, acknowledge all customers, monitor fitting rooms and be aware of potential theft/tag switching.
- Ensure register, cash handling and banking practices are in compliance with Housing Works policies and procedures.
- Ensure that inventory and pricing guidelines are complied with and maintained.
- Report unsafe working conditions immediately and demonstrate safe work habits.
Housing Works Ambassador
- Participate in at least one direct action per quarter aimed at ending the twin crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS.
- Know the Housing Works’ Mission Statement and goals and be able to inform and discuss with customers.
Create Volunteer Culture
- Create and maintain a welcoming environment for volunteers.
- Work with all staff to train and develop volunteers.
- Actively recruit for volunteers from customers, donors, and neighborhood institutions.
- Attend Info Session/Interview with Volunteer Program Manager
- Must be 16 and over to apply independently. People aged 14 and 15 must obtain working papers from their school and parent’s permission before attending a session.
- Complete in-store orientation and training after completing Info Session/Interview
- Strong interest in the HW mission to end the dual crises of homelessness and HIV/AIDS
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Excellent communications skills (both verbal and written), interpersonal and team-oriented skills
- Self-starting, self motivating mindset
- Attention to detail
- Basic mathematical skills to include adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages
- Flexibility in schedule
- Ability to stand, walk, kneel, and bend for long periods of time and lift up to 40 pounds
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- Donor Management
- Retail / Sales
- Visual Arts
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours/week; 6 month minimum
- Future Volunteers must attend our Volunteer Information Session.