Do you enjoy meeting new people and helping others? Come help make equal access to justice in our community a reality by assisting pro bono attorneys provide no-cost legal services at Eastside Legal Assistance Program (ELAP) legal clinic and promote our mission to serve low income residents of the Eastside and survivors of domestic violence from all of King County. ELAP’s legal clinics provide one-on-one appointments with pro bono attorneys in all civil legal issues such as, landlord tenant, credit, wills, contracts, divorce or domestic violence. Since 1989, ELAP has provided Eastside residents with a variety of civil case services enabling equal access to justice including, one-on-one legal clinics, unbundled legal services, brief services and community education seminars.
Your role as the Legal Clinic Intake Manager will be to ensure efficient organization and support of ELAP’s legal clinic, enabling clients to receive the specialized case intake required for attorneys to provide, issue-tailored legal advice.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes ahead of time to open the clinic and set up materials
- Greet volunteer attorneys and clients, ensure that clients complete the necessary forms before and after the appointment and usher clients to the attorney for each appointment
- Maintain adherence to appointment timings and if requested, appropriately remind attorneys of time
- Oversee the clinic materials, put materials away once the clinic is over and inform ELAP staff when additional materials are needed
- Return intake forms, either by mail or in person, to the ELAP offices
- Follow up with attorneys on next steps if requested by ELAP staff
- Report to Cynthia Klein, ELAP Legal Clinic Coordinator
*Training will be provided.
This volunteer position requires a minimum of two hours based on the clinic schedule. We ask for a one year commitment. The current ELAP Legal Clinic times are available on the ELAP website. Note that some clinics occur weekly.
- Commitment to ELAP’s mission in promoting equal access to justice
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to respond to clients with patience and a non-judgmental attitude
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to multi-task without sacrificing client service satisfaction
- Applicants with second language skills are encouraged to apply
This position is a great way to make a difference in your community by bringing critical legal services to vulnerable populations, who may otherwise have no access. Statistics show that low-income individuals and families have, on average, at least one situation each year where they require legal advice. The need is great as ever to improve accessibility to the legal system for residents. With your help, we aim to make equal access to justice a reality. Serving as an ELAP Legal Clinic Intake Manager is a terrific way to engage with your community, gain an insight into to legal issues and develop administrative management skills.
To apply please submit a completed ELAP General Volunteer Application Form available on the ELAP website www.elap.org. Please be sure to indicate your schedule availability, length of commitment and what interests you in this position. We will contact you shortly to discuss your interest in this position. If you have any questions, please contact Esperanza Borboa, ELAP Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 425-747-7274 Ext 201. Thank you for your commitment to equal access to justice.
- Office Reception
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Depending on Legal Clinic