After completion of Part 1 & 2 of our two-day training (held on a consecutive Saturday & Sunday), our volunteer co-advocates assist in the facilitation of innovative and therapeutic programming. They help to host events for the community and youth groups, including forums, fairs, and some presentations. Those who are currently healthcare and clinical professionals may also volunteer their time to training and onboarding new volunteers.
A prospective candidate should have a creative spirit, high energy, and a passion for advocating for young survivors of childhood trauma. Our advocates must be able to follow directives and be self-starters able to plan events and recruit team members.
Co-Advocates must complete Just Speak, Inc. training. Advocates are monitored and evaluated. Regardless of prior training, a Just Speak co-advocate must adhere to Just Speak, Inc programming, policies, and mission.
Qualifications: Must be willing and able to work in urban school settings AFTER SCHOOL HOURS & SUMMER DAYS. MUST HAVE A DHS CLEARANCE PRIOR TO STARTING. College-level coursework or field related degree is strongly preferred 1 - 2 years experience working with youth ages 3 to 17, childhood trauma, and general at-risk populations, preferable, but not necessary. Background in psychology or trauma studies preferable, but not necessary.
Seeking Volunteers with
- A high level verbal and written skills
- Experience with trauma/sexual abuse/assault advocacy or counseling preferable, but not necessary
- A good rapport with youth
- Passion for grassroots organizations/advocacy.
- Experience in training preferable, but not mandatory.
- Interest and experience in research.
- Must identify with a holistic and non-traditional approach to child trauma prevention, intervention, and awareness.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and navigating social media
- Must be organized, flexible, and good on a team
- Must have transportation for training, PROGRAMS, events, and meetings.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED: Please apply by going to our website, and completing our online questionnaire. Go to www.justspeak/volunteer and scroll to the end of the page, click the link and complete the application.Our website includes a link to download the DHS Clearance form. The Department of Human Services form must be taken to your local DHS office for completion! The results will be mailed to us by DHS.
Please do not contact us, if you are unwilling to obtain a DHS Clearance and ICHAT background check. You will not be considered.
- Crisis Intervention
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
- Teaching / Instruction
- Child Welfare
- Group Facilitation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 15 hour monthly minimum
- DHS Clearance Mandatory; Metro Detroit residents, iChat background check