There are multiple ways to engage in volunteering with The Atlas Initiative in Lancaster County. Atlas is an innovative approach to fighting poverty that works to build up communitites and individuals through relationships, resources, and motiviation to thrive. We meet at 6pm in Columbia Borough on Monday nights and at 6pm in Lancaster City on Thursday nights.
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Atlas Allies: Volunteer to fight poverty one relationship at a time! Allies provide support, encouragement, and friendship to participants (Leaders) working to get ahead in life and acheive self-sufficiency. Work to form an intentional, mutually reciprocal relationship with a Leader and provide support as he or she works to reach goals of getting ahead. Commit to at least 5 hours a month with your circle group, including two monthly meetings and a family-style meal with all other participants. This is a powerful opportunity to get involved in another person's life and be an encouraging presence! Be ready to bring your skills and experiences to share as well as an openness to learn from others.
- Meal Donations: Every weekly group includes a family style meal for all the participants and volunteers that starts at 6:00pm. Volunteer groups are needed to donate, prepare and serve these meals for 30-40 adults and kiddos on Monday or Thursday evenings.
- Child Care: Child care is provided during every group. Volunteers are asked to provide child care from 6:00pm-8:30pm. We provide training and clearances for new volunteers.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Time commitment varies depending on role.
- Allies must go through a basic volunteer training.