Guizhou Forerunner College (GFC) is a non-profit college in China, founded to bestow practical, high quality education for under-served students in Guizhou Province. We provide three years of low-to-no-cost higher education for students in vocational fields. Our mission is to educate and support poor, outstanding students in acquiring employment and overcoming poverty for themselves and their families. With the motto: "Integrity, Love, Nobility," we strive to cultivate these characteristics in students while encouraging personal and economic growth.
Funded by VIA Faith-Hope-Love Foundation, GFC officially opened on September 15, 2011.
GFC seeks enthusiastic volunteers to:
- Support a progressive, world-class college for ethnic minorities and the visually impaired
- Promote education quality and equality in western regions of China, including teacher training for local primary and middle school English teachers.
- Teach underprivileged but outstanding students in Guizhou Province
- Enhance a student-centered learning environment
- Foster an English speaking atmosphere
- Collaborate with Marriott Hotels, HTC, , Tangwawa, Baidu, and other partners to provide a vibrant and diverse residential vocational learning community
- Contribute unique talents and, in return, be enriched by the Chinese and local minority culture
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree with 2 years teaching experience preferred or a TEFL/TESOL/ESL certification
- Native English speaker or graduated from university in a country where English is the dominant language.
- Personal conviction that education transforms lives
- Commit with professionalism to do what it takes to serve the needs of GFC and its students for at least one year (longer commitments are encouraged)
- Model sincerity, patience, positive attitude, self-motivation, self-management, and the spirit of service
- Work well in a team environment and be able to adapt in variety of circumstances including changes in lifestyle
Benefits for Volunteers
- International volunteers earn travel ticket and visa subsidy of up to 12,000RMB in exchange for a year of service or longer
- Free lodging in private furnished room and bathroom with cable TV and full access to school library, sports facilities and Wi-Fi
- Receive 1000 RMB monthly living allowance (2500RMB for second year)
- Supplementary health insurance will be provided during the service
- Free Chinese lessons
- Make a contribution to the education of young people and help alleviate poverty among diverse Chinese ethnic minorities
- Discover rural China and immerse in authentic Chinese culture.
- Free GFC shuttle bus to Guiyang City on weekends
Situated within a national forest and surrounded by fresh water springs, GFC is located in Birds Creek Scenic Area, Huishui County, Guizhou Province (southwestern China), about 80 minutes from Guiyang International Airport. While Guizhou is the poorest province in terms of per capita income, it is rich in minority culture and natural beauty.
Please e-mail the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover letter (include desired length of service and your motivation to volunteer at GFC)
Resume and photo
We do also have intern and study program, for more information, please contact us at email@example.com
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 1 year
- Bachelor Degree, Eng teaching exp or TEFL/TESOL certificate