In an effort to increase access to healthy food, The Salvation Army has partnered with Second Harvest Heartland for a free monthly produce give away for community members. Participants receiving food will also have the option of attending a short devotional and prayer time with Salvation Army officers (pastors). We are looking for volunteers who enjoy working with people and want to help increase community access to healthy food. Six volunteers are needed to help setup, distribute food, and cleanup afterwards. This will take place the 2nd Thursday of each month. Volunteers are needed from 8:30 am until 12 pm.
- Assist with table setup in the distribution area.
- Assist with bringing food into building from the pallet(s) of food outside. Handcarts are available to help with transporting the food to the distribution room.
- Prepare waiting area in the chapel by removing Bibles and hymnals.
- Assist with greeting participants and giving out numbers.
- Assist with setting out the produce on tables and keeping it organized as participants make their selections.
- Provide friendly customer service to people coming for food distribution.
- Monitoring the amount of food being taken by each participant and keeping them within the guidelines for that day’s distribution (amounts vary depending on what food is available that day).
- Assist with clean up after the event, including moving any remaining food to the social service office, wiping down tables and putting them away, sweeping the floor if needed, returning Bibles and hymnals to the chapel, and chapel cleanup.
- Other tasks as assigned by Salvation Army staff.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds and be on your feet for approximately 3 hours.
- Ability to work outside, no matter the weather, to bring food into the building.
- Friendly disposition, suitable for interacting with participants.
- Willingness to keep confidential all information regarding participants.
- Willingness to be aware and sensitive of all cultural differences.
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Salvation Army - Virginia, MN
- Food Shelf Stocker or Escort --...
- Salvation Army - Fergus Falls, MN
- Salvation Army - Willmar, MN
- Free Produce Distributor
- Admin Assistant/Filing Clerk-...
- Salvation Army - Austin, MN
- Salvation Army - Minot, ND
- Salvation Army - Rochester, MN
- Food Service Kitchen Assistant -...
- Salvation Army - Brainerd, MN
- Salvation Army - St. Cloud, MN
- The MOST Amazing Race -- Event...
- Salvation Army - Mankato, MN
- Friday Food Distribution
- Small group needed for cleaning...
- Salvation Army - International...
- Salvation Army - Bismarck, ND
- Salvation Army - Jamestown, ND
- Driver - Roseville