Purpose of Position
Help Northeast Florida to learn about enviro issues, fun events and action alerts while building your resume through publication of the Sierra Club newsletter. Sierra Club Northeast Florida is the local group of the largest and oldest environmental organization in the US.
Editorship of our monthly newsletter is one of the most important jobs in the Sierra Club because it keeps members connected to issues, programs and events of the Club.
The monthly newsletter is produced and mailed in hardcopy every other month and electronically every other month. Our current newsletter editor can train you.
- Work closely with group officers and committee chairs to identify lead articles and calendar items. Establish priority and timeliness of news articles; set and maintain deadlines and production schedules.
- Assure that job mechanics are properly completed: typing, proof-reading, layout, labeling, and mailing.
- This is resume-able experience that will enable the volunteer to learn about enviro issues.
Some sources of such information are:
- attending meetings of the chapter or group executive committee (or arrange for someone to gather appropriate information for them) for news of conservation, outings, and other activities.
- regular communication with the chapter or group chair and conservation chair as well as leaders of various committees, including outings chair, and Inner City Outings chair
- email and information from other organizations.
Following is a list of routine tasks required of newsletter editors or their assistants:
- Solicit articles photography and artwork.
- Edit articles submitted
- Prioritize and select articles if more submitted than needed--coordinate with group chair and the article submittor
- Write articles as needed
- Submit for printing.
- Act as liaison with the Post Office (regarding mailing permits).
- Arrange for mailing labels.
Skills: Good writing skills, organization, computer literacy with Microsoft Office and Publisher.
Environmental knowledge helpful but not required. This work is resumeable for for people interested in public comunications.
Time commitment: Typically 8-12 hours per month
Location: Must reside in Northeast Florida
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- About 5 hours per month