Coaching a Girls on the Run program is the most rewarding way to get involved with Girls on the Run. A volunteer head coach facilitates the Girls on the Run curriculum to a team of 8-15 girls in grades 3-5 or 6-8. Our curriculum focuses on inspiring girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident, and integrates training for a 5K into life lessons on important topics such as choosing good friends, resisting peer pressure, living with gratitude, developing healthy habits, etc. Girls meet twice per week for a 10-week season. The program culminates with the girls completing a celebratory 5K event.
This position works closely with the Council Director and entails approximately 4 hours per week for ten weeks, with additional time required on two to three weekend days for: a one day six hour training; a community race event; and for First Aid/CPR training, if necessary.
- Committment to Girls on the Run's mission to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident using a fun experience-based curriculum that creatively integrates running.
- Experience working with youth
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to be flexible and to improvise when needed
- To inspire and motivate others to believe in the Girls on the Run mission
- High organizational skills
- The ability to recognize conflict and have the skills to help resolve it
- The capacity to work in a partnership with a co-coach and/or assistant coaches
- Successfully pass a Background Check
- First Aid/CPR certification (Council will provide training)
- Believe and support the mission of Girls on the Run
The ideal candidate will have the following experiences:
- Has worked directly with girls ages 8-14
- Has experience as a runner/walker either recreationally or competitively
- Has volunteered in direct service organizations
- Has awareness of the common and different needs of girls
- Physical Education
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Sports Coaching
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours/wk for 10 weeks, plus 3 weekend days
- Background check required. Mandatory attendance at 6-hour coach training.