Food Science volunteers perform educational demonstrations and provide customer service at Theory, OMSI’s eatery. Current demonstrations focus on topics such as nutrients in food, food and your senses, agriculture and modernist cuisine. Demonstrations take place every week, Wednesday through Sunday, and all holidays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate food science demonstrations at Theory.
- Assist with set-up and clean-up procedures for demonstrations.
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from OMSI demonstrations.
- Give clear directions and provide information about activities happening throughout the museum.
- Volunteers must be available for one shift, 11:00 - 2:00, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday (minimum of two shifts per month, weekly shift preferred). May be asked to cover holidays as wellwhen available.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Skillful in facilitating hands-on interactions and translating scientific information accurately and age-appropriately.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
- Able to listen and communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Previous experience with cooking, nutrition, health, or food science preferred.
- Current Oregon food handler card preferred.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
- Cooking / Catering
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hr/month minimum for 9 months