This is a volunteer position - we are an all volunteer organization.
The adoption counselors assist in finding quality, caring, loving adoptive homes for the cats in the adoption program, based on the information obtained through discussion and interview of potential adopter. It's a great feeling to see a formerly homeless cat go to a carefully screened, loving home.Responsibilities
- Assist potential adopters by explaining adoption process and providing information about the cats
- Assist and monitor potential adopters when they are handling cats
- Review completed adoption applications and interviews prospective adopters to match the appropriate cat to the person wanting to adopt.
- Educate possible adopters on pertinent issues (why indoor only is safest, why declawing is inhumane and can also lead to behavioral issues typically relating to litter box habits, etc.)
- Explain medical care the cat being adopted has received - testing, vaccinations, spay/neuter, medications, etc.
- Explain adoption policies (return, medical, etc.) in detail to all adopters.
- Complete all adoption paperwork and collects adoption fees
- Assist with (or as lead counselor, responsible for) set-up before event and break down after event
- Follow Alley Cats and Angels’ adoption protocols
- Knowledgeable about Alley Cats and Angels’ mission and various programs (detailed information on our mission and various programs will be provided)
- Minimum commitment preferred: one adoption event per month
- Will need to participate in adoption events before becoming a counselor
Be a counselor for just one event per month or more if you wish! Adoption Counselors sign up on a rotating basis based on their availability.
Adoption events are held every weekend at the Knightdale Petsmart location and the second and third weekends of each month at the Morrisville Petsmart location from 1PM to 4PM on both Saturday and Sunday. Special adoption events may have extended hours.
- Petsmart Knightdale
- Petsmart Morrisville
- Training will be provided
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Minimum five hours per month