Homework Tutors at Alum Rock Branch Library
WhenWed Sep 07, 2016 03:30 PM - Wed Dec 14, 2016 06:00 PM
Where3090 Alum Rock AveSan Jose, CA 95127
The Homework Club offered at the Alum Rock Library is an important service that has grown over time. Managed by an on-site club coordinator, the Homework Club is looking for several high-school students and/or adults interested in volunteering on a weekly basis to assist local students with homework and provide a safe space for families after school.
Responsibilities (with the support of the Homework Club Coordinator):
- Help students in grades K-8 understand their homework in a range of subjects including reading, writing, math, social studies, and science
- Help students individually and in small groups
- Manage Homework Club store and award students "brain bucks" for participation and hard work
- Satisfaction of making an important difference in students’ learning and success in school
- Learn ways to coach, promote learning, and refine teaching skills
- Gain experience to add to a resume or college application
Training/Support Available: The Homework Coaches will provide an orientation to the Homework Help program on Tuseday, August 30th at 3:30 p.m. If you cannot attend this training, alternative trainings can be scheduled with library staff.
- Seeking high school students, ages 15-18
- Prior experience tutoring is a plus but not required
- Must have the requisite basic skills to support students in grades K-8. This can be strength in one subject area or general knowledge.
- Experience or interest working with students/youth
- Patience, flexibility
- Second language ability is a plus
Commitment: Homework Tutors are needed on either Tuesdays or Wednesday from 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm (schedule somewhat flexible upon request); volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of one semester as a tutor.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours per week