Homework Tutors at Alum Rock Branch Library
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where3090 Alum Rock AveSan Jose, CA 95127
The Homework Club offered at the Alum Rock Library is an important service that has grown over time. Managed by an on-site club coordinator, the Homework Club is looking for several high-school students and/or adults interested in volunteering on a weekly basis to assist local students with homework and provide a safe space for families after school.
Responsibilities (with the support of the Homework Club Coordinator):
- Help students in grades K-8 understand their homework in a range of subjects including reading, writing, math, social studies, and science
- Help students individually and in small groups
- Manage Homework Club store and award students "brain bucks" for participation and hard work
- Satisfaction of making an important difference in students’ learning and success in school
- Learn ways to coach, promote learning, and refine teaching skills
- Gain experience to add to a resume or college application
Training/Support Available: The Homework Coaches will provide an orientation to the Homework Help program on Tuseday, August 30th at 3:30 p.m. If you cannot attend this training, alternative trainings can be scheduled with library staff.
- Seeking high school students, ages 15-18
- Prior experience tutoring is a plus but not required
- Must have the requisite basic skills to support students in grades K-8. This can be strength in one subject area or general knowledge.
- Experience or interest working with students/youth
- Patience, flexibility
- Second language ability is a plus
Commitment: Homework Tutors are needed on either Tuesdays or Wednesday from 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm (schedule somewhat flexible upon request); volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of one semester as a tutor.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours per week