Help young scientists perform experiments in a real laboratory environment! SciLab Assistants support guests in completing self-guided chemistry and biology activities.
Introduce guests to SciLab and set them up at activity stations
Answer questions and provide assistance as guests complete self-guided lab activities
Reset materials and equipment between groups, including washing dishes and folding lab coats
Enforce SciLab rules and general lab safety practices
Friendly but firm to ensure visitor safety
Basic knowledge in biology and/or chemistry is helpful
Some shifts may require extended periods of standing
Training: Training will be provided by SciLab staff. The majority of training will happen on your first day of work. Additional training will be provided as unusual scenarios arise thereafter.
Schedule Requirements: SciLab assistants should be available for a four hour shift at least once a month. Regular shifts for SciLab assistants are 10:00-~2:00 on Tuesdays-Fridays or weekend afternoons. Other opportunities on special events or occasions may sometimes arise outside these hours.
Please visit marylandsciencecenter.org for further information and application forms. All volunteers must submit an application; volunteer appointments are by interview only. All applicants must complete a background check and orientation session, prior to volunteering.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One 4 hour shift, at least once a month
- Exhibits Shop Assistants: Help...
- Bus Greeter
- IMAX Theater Usher: Volunteer...
- Kids Room Educational Materials...
- Kids Room Educator: Teach, learn...
- Planetarium eBay Specialist
- SciLab Assistant: Help young...
- Green Roof Assistants
- Lobby Ambassador
- Exhibit Facilitators: Assist MSC...
- Ticket Agent
- Science Educators! Inspire the...
- Science Store Cashier
- Group Mailings: Help MSC stay...
- Observatory Assistant:Share your...
- Traveling Science Media...
- Exhibits Fabricators
- Kids Room Upkeep Assistants