Give at-risk youth a 2nd chance
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where11539 Hawthorne Blvd., 5th floorMeetings take place throughout LA Area atyour convenienceHawthorne, CA 90250
Centinela Youth Services is seeking volunteers with business background to share experiences with youth who have committed minor offenses. Substituting for unavailable business people, you can positively impact youth, hold them accountable for mistakes made and gives them a 2 nd chance to change. Takes a few hours monthly, scheduled at your convenience. Well organized, evidence-based and highly rewarding.
Substituting for unavailable business people in a mediation with a young person who has committee an offense like graffitti or shoplifting is simple, easy and rewarding, as you often see the change happening right before your eyes. Become an integral part of the restorative justice movement!
Who can be a Substitute?
- Local business persons, retirees or any person with this background and with some day time availability.
- Able to volunteer 2-3 hours per month
- Committed to changing young peoples lives
What does a Surrogate Victim do?
- Attend 1-2 meetings per month, typically lasting 1-1 hours and is scheduled around your availability
- Serve as a stand-in for the actual businesses which have been injured by petty theft or vandalism - sometimes they are schools or government buildings
- Since participation is voluntary sometimes these people can't make the time to take part. Instead of turning the young person who wants to face up to what they have done, we hold the meeting between them and a Substitute. Thats where you come in.
- You will explain the impact that shoplifting/vandalism has on business and the community
- Help youth understand harm caused by their actions
- Give youth an opportunity to learn and grown from the incident
- Significantly increase the chance that they youth will not be arrested in the future.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment