The Advocacy, Counseling and Entitlement Services ( ACES) Project of the Community Service Society is seeking individuals age 55 to serve as volunteer public benefit counselors dedicated to helping financially disadvantaged people. Volunteers participate in an intensive seven-week training program beginning October 4, 2016. The training covers eligibility requirements and application procedures for Medicaid, SSI, SNAP, and other public benefit programs. Upon completion, volunteers are placed in agencies in one of the five boroughs to provide information on government benefits to low-income families, older adults and individuals with disabilities. Volunteers assist clients with completing applications and helping correct benefit related problems.
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Case Work / Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 55
- Orientation or Training
- 6 hours/week
- Become a Citizenship Tutor
- "Help Bring the Internet to...
- Healthy Habits Teacher
- Chinese Interpreter
- "A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned"
- Help feed hungry New Yorkers. (...
- Client Advocate
- Make a Difference! Make a Food...
- Caregiver Coach
- Many Volunteer Opportunities...
- Help homebound seniors organize...
- Become a New Immigrant Mentor
- Administrative Assistant Volunteer
- Outreach Volunteer
- Food Pantry Intake Manager
- Volunteer Interpreter
- Korean Interpreter
- Help Families and Individuals...
- English for Speakers of Other...