Heritage has a variety of volunteer opportunities and we are always looking for support. Below you will find a list of the different ways to help. If you are intersted in becomming a volunteer please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 508-888-3300 x110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visitor Engagement Volunteer: Work with the public and our front line staff to help provide a memorable, meaningful experience for our visitors! Visitor Engagement Volunteers help with:
- Daily operations such as greeting visitors as they arrive, helping with wayfinding, and recommending things to see and do around the gardens and galleries
- Event assistance, helping with ticket-taking, helping with craft and program activities, and assisting with crowd control
- Assisting with greeting and welcoming adult and student group tour customers upon arrival, assisting groups with the Admissions check-in process
Interpretive Volunteers: Help interpret our collections both inside the galleries and outside in the gardens for school groups and visitors. Interpretive Volunteers help with:
- Engaging students grades K-8 grade through hands-on interactive workshops that connect Museum collections and STEM learning in fun and exciting ways
- Interpreting Heritage’s collections to community and groups by teaching with objects, giving informal talks, and leading interactive tours through our galleries and gardens
Horticulture Department: This opportunity will allow you to work in the gardens doing various duties, including weeding, mulching, fertilizing, pruning, propagation, and plant documentation. As a Horticulture Volunteer you will help Heritage maintain our beautiful public gardens enjoyed by all who visit.
Administrative Support: This opportunity will allow you to experience the inner workings of a nonprofit organization in this extremely important job that can assist a variety of departments, including Development, Marketing, Membership, and Finance. Duties include, but are not limited to, bulk mailings, filing, stuffing envelopes, telephone calls, archiving promotional materials, membership outreach, assisting with promotion of Heritage events and exhibits through online event promotions etc.
Maintenance Department: This opportunity will allow you to assist in the maintenance of Heritage’s building and gardens. By volunteering in this department you will ensure that the 100 acres of Heritage Museums, which is home to 65 acres of gardens, 13,000+ objects in our collections including 39 American automobiles, are kept in a clean, safe and secure facility.
Exhibits and Collections: This year we are looking for people to help in two roles in this department:
- Data Entry Assistant- This position involves entering data about museum collections into a database. Familiarity with computers, a windows operation system and using a mouse are required for this position. Because of the training involved, the time commitment must be at least four hours a week year-round.
- Survey Assistant-This volunteer assists in gathering data about visitor behavior in our museum galleries, grounds, and gardens as part of a Visitor Behavior Study. The annual study is conducted to further understand the interests of our visitors and how they engage with our physical areas. Tasks include observation and noting visitor movement and behavior in time and tracking studies. There will also be interviewing visitors using a pre-written survey, the outcome of which will be used to develop concepts for future projects. Base commitment is 3-4 hours a week.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and agree to a criminal background check. As a Volunteer, Heritage is allowed to use photos, audio or videos of individuals performing volunteer duties.
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Activities Management
- Data Entry
- General Education
- Customer Service
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training