5 people are interested
Food Promotions Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Capital Area Food Bank
Please visit the new page to apply.
5 people are interested
If you're interested in this position, please click here to complete our online application.
Position Overview: The Capital Area Food Bank, founded in 1980, is the largest nonprofit food distribution and nutrition education resource in the Washington Metro area; serving the community through direct service and its network of partner agencies. Starting in the month of February, the Partner Relations Department seeks volunteers for our Food Demonstration and Marketing volunteer team.
- Prepare and hand out samples to customers, including basic food prep and clean up
- Engage customers and promote slow moving or unfamiliar food products
- Assist staff in creating information flyers that can be given out with samples
- Research recipes for food products that may be unfamiliar to customers
- Minimum age requirement is 18
- Basic cooking knowledge and culinary skills
- Ability to stand for up to 3 hours during product demonstrations and testing
- Reliable transportation to and from the CAFB’s main distribution center in northeast Washington, D.C.
- Friendly and comfortable interacting with a diverse audience
- Experience in marketing or advertising preferred
- Energetic and outgoing personality a plus
Volunteer Work Schedule and Hours:
The Partner Relations Department seeks volunteers who are available on Tuesdays, or Fridays, between the hours of 8:30am and 1pm. We are seeking volunteers who can volunteer at least two days per month.
Position Location: Capital Area Food Bank is located at 4900 Puerto Rico Avenue, NE Washington, DC 20017 and is accessible via public transportation by bus and on the Metro Rail. The nearest Metro station is Brookland-CUA on the red line.
Impact of this volunteer opportunity: The focus of the Partner Relations Department is to empower partner agencies to increase capacity to serve the community with vast and various food choices. The main role of the Food Promotions Volunteer is to demo and market slow-moving, unfamiliar, and unusual products to partner agencies. By doing so, you will provide agencies with ideas for how to introduce new products to their clients. This is a great way to make sure agencies are utilizing all available food items and their clients are maintaining nutritious and well-balanced diets.
Department: Partner Relations
Reports to: Customer Service Coordinators
No. of Volunteers Needed: 1/week
Dates requested: Tuesdays, or Fridays
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Capital Area Food Bank
4900 Puerto Rico Ave, NE, Washington, DC 20017, US
The mission of the Capital Area Food Bank is to create access to good, healthy food in every community.
In a region as large as metropolitan Washington, ensuring everyone has access to good, healthy food takes a significant community effort-which is why we partner with over 450 nonprofit organizations in DC and the surrounding region. Together, we provide 30 million meals to almost half a million area residents, every year. And because we know that food alone won’t solve hunger, we also address the root causes of hunger through multiple education programs and innovative service delivery partnerships.
It’s a big undertaking. And it’s all made possible by the generosity of our donors, the hard work of our partners, and the dedication of our volunteers and staff.
4900 Puerto Rico Ave, NEWashington DC, DC 20017
June 13, 2013
- People 55+