VOLUNTEER POSITION: GED Classroom Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: HealthRIGHT 360 Resource Center
COMMITMENT: At least 3 hours per week for 3 to 4 months during open class hours. The classroom is open from 9 am to 12 pm Monday through Friday (except Tuesdays). Please contact us regarding our current need for volunteers.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Five Keys Charter School is focused on preparing adult students for their GED or high school diploma, often beginning with remedial skills. We have a credentialed teacher who organizes instruction for approximately 15 students on any given day. As a volunteer, you will provide extra reading support to clients and extra support with basic math (especially decimals and fractions) by working with adult students one-on-one in their assigned coursework.
DESIRED SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL QUALITIES:
- Ability to tutor clients individually in a group setting
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and listening skills
- Able to role model professional behavior and maintain professional boundaries
- Interest in working with diverse, disadvantaged populations including low literacy, learning disabilities, physical disabilities and impaired cognitive functioning
- Able to maintain client confidentiality
- A background or interest in education is a plus but not required
TRAINING AND SUPERVISION: You will be provided with a volunteer orientation. You’ll have the opportunity to shadow the GED classroom prior to working with clients individually. In the classroom, you will work closely with our GED teacher who will be available to address any questions or concerns that arise. In addition, as a valuable asset to our team, we as Resource Center staff are always available to you if you have questions or concerns.
- People Skills
- Literacy / Reading
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 20
- At least 1x per week for at least 3 months