Volunteer Driver for Veterans Community Outpatient Clinic in Aiken, South Carolina
6 people are interested
Voluntary Service-Uptown and Downtown Divisions/CBOC 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, or any portion as agreed upon. Volunteers will drive Veterans needing transportation to and from the Medical Center for appointments.
(Send an email to: VHAAUGVoluntaryService@va.gov and Donna.Ingram@va.gov if you are interested in this position or call 706-731-7256.)
Van Driver for Veterans
2. Purpose of Assignment
The Van Driver is responsible for the safe and efficient transport of customers in passenger vans. Van Drivers must provide a superior customer service experience for each passenger. In this visible role, it is important that the Van Driver maintains a positive attitude and professional appearance at all times. The Van Driver reports to the Hospital Service Coordinator.
- Welcomes each customer with a smile.
- Treats all passengers in a courteous, friendly and professional manner.
- Operates passenger vans safely and efficiently.
- Follows scheduled routes, chartered routes or responds to requests from management for unscheduled pick-ups or drop-offs.
- Kindly assists passengers in boarding and exiting the vehicle.
- Reports accidents, safety situations, vehicle condition, or damage to the Hospital Service Coordinator.
- Inspects exterior and interior of vehicle at beginning of each shift for properly operating headlights, turn signals, brake lights, interior lighting, air conditioning or heating, mirror adjustment, properly inflated tires, windshield wipers, etc. prior to driving the van
- Ensures that both inside and outside of the vehicle are properly cleaned.
- Responsible for keeping van fueled and turning in gas receipts to Hospital Service Coordinator
- Use direct routes (side trips not authorized, i.e., stopping for food, running errands, etc.
- Accurately completes driver trip sheet for each shift with information including driver number, vehicle number, number of passengers, pick-up and drop-off times, mileage, destinations, etc.
4. Time Commitment
6:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. one weekday weekly - Augusta local drivers
6:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. one weekday weekly - Drivers serving outlying areas
5. Skill Requirements
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Pass an official motor vehicle record check
- Pass a background check
- Successful completion of physical exam
- Able to sit for up to 8 hours per shift.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to complete log and trip sheets.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a courteous.
- Problem solving skills and ability to make sound decisions.
6. Training and Skill Development
- Initial and annual volunteer training.
- Annual safe driver training
- Fleet card training
- Initial ride along with experienced driver
Volunteer reports to: Hospital Service Coordinator
Feedback: Annual written
* Refuse transportation for Veterans not ready/present for transportation to/from VA facility ????
9. Supporting policies
* VHA Handbook 1620.01
* VHA Handbook 1620.02
* Medical Center Policy MEMORANDUM NO. 119-14-01
* Medical Center Policy MEMORANDUM NO. 119-14-10
Where/what’s provided: Office located at Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center, 1 Freedom Way, Augusta, GA 30904. Vehicle is provided along with fleet card for fuel and other authorized purchases.
- Breakfast and lunch provided
- Structured recognition/awards program
- Annual Flu Shot at no cost
- Eligible to join credit union
- Make tax-free purchases in Canteen store
About Augusta VA Medical Center
1 Freedom Way (119U), Voluntary Service Downtown Division, Augusta, GA 30904, US
To do all that we can for veterans.
The Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center is a two division medical center located in Augusta. We provide primary care, acute care, and long term care planning for our Veteran patients. Voluntary Service is all about volunteering, donations, and creating opportunities for all of us to give back and care for our Veterans. Whether you wish to volunteer or wish to donate materials or funding to benefit our Veterans, we are the place ot start. Our volunteer program covers all aspects of the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center. We seek to create volunteer positions that are rewarding and purposeful for all volunteers. Veterans need and deserve the best we can give them. We stand ready to help you make a difference in the lives of our Veterans.
We'll work with your schedule.
951 Millbrook AvenueAiken, SC 29803
- Veteran Care
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Clean Driving Record, Physically Able to Drive